You are not logged in.

illinoisjim

Sunday, April 21st 2019, 12:55pm

Valve box 2/3 full of dirt!

Investigating a zone that stopped working. When I opened up the valve box is was about 2/3 full of dirt. I haven't had to mess with it for at least several years. It was a good sized rectangular box. I did notice that there were several sizable openings that I hadn't put anything over (some about 2" across). I didn't notice that the ground had sunk around the box. I checked another box nearby and I can see I put some sheets of heavy plastic across the unused holes (cut from a plastic bucket as I recall) and a bit of gravel in the bottom of the hole. May have also put some plastic around the pipes through existing holes to close the gap around the pipe. The gravel is muddy but not covered by dirt.

Is it normal to get this much dirt in boxes? What's usually done to prevent this?
BTW, the problem seems to be a bad solenoid.

mrfixit

Monday, April 22nd 2019, 2:15am

Gophers will completely fill a box to the top with dirt. I've had customers put various liners under the valve manifold. Plastic, sheet metal, wood. It makes it difficult to cut the pipe though if need be in the future.

It sounds like the gravel worked for you. Maybe gopher's wont dig through it.

Rate this thread