You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dzuroff

Monday, April 18th 2005, 6:30pm

Figuring Out Which Nozzle To Use

After reading various messages in the forum I have learned that each head with a different radius should have a different nozzle installed to control the amount of water being deposited on the lawn; i.e. 90 degree radius, 180 degree radius, 360 degree radius, etc... I also realize the key to choosing the correct nozzle is knowing my water PSI and GPM... Unfortunately I do not know these things because I have a pump drawing water from a well and the pump does not have a PSI gage attached. Is there a simple solution here to selecting the correct nozzles? How do I figure out which nozzle to use based on the radius of the rotars?

I have an older system with hunter heads (they need to be replaced) and I thought maybe I could take note of the nozzles installed and cross reference them to the rainbird nozzles that I intend on using. Unfortunately whoever installed the system used the same nozzle (number 7) for all heads regardless of radius so that idea was shot down. At any rate, I am really hoping to get some input on this because I want to be able to set everything up properly.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2005, 9:33pm

You could buy an inexpensive pressure guage at your local hardware store, hook it up to a hose bib on your home, and check the pressure. You should be able to get a pressure guage for under $10.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

dzuroff

Tuesday, April 19th 2005, 5:40am

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure what a hose bib is. I guess I better find out, huh? :) I didn't think about this before but the only place that I know of where I can easily connect a gage is in the middle of my discharge pipe where I have a water valve with a connection for a hose (Is that a hose bib?). Would that give me an accurate reading? The water would basically be flowing through the pipe past the gage so I would not get the same reading as if it was a closed system.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 24th 2005, 8:52pm

Correct, a hose bib is where you connect your hose (aka an outdoor faucet) sorry about that!
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

mburnickas

Wednesday, May 25th 2005, 7:09am

I still think even when pressure etc is known; you will need to fine tune the heads. Based upon precip rates, soil etc. I have about 80.5 psi on city water line and that will go down after backflow. I can run #6 on my hunter PGP’s. But using these are too much so I had to back down.

So the meter for like $6 at Home Depot will get you close to "somethinh" here, but it is not carved in stone.
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

Rate this thread