You are not logged in.

jogirob

Tuesday, June 25th 2019, 3:30pm

New diaphragm wont let any water through

Greetings all and thank you in advance for your expertise.

I'm working on a RainJet Classic 3/4 with flow control. The original gripe was that station 4 was on any time the sprinkler main was turned on. I took the lid off of station 4's valve and saw that the diaphragm was ruptured. I did some research and saw that https://www.homedepot.com/p/Double-Beaded-Diaphragm-L13100/100130306 was a suitable replacement. Side by side these looked identical other than the color of the old one was grey while this new one is black.

After installing this new diaphragm no matter what I do I can't get station 4 sprinklers to activate. I popped the dust cap off the anti siphon side? (the side with the plastic float) and saw that no water is getting through. I played around with the flow control, I opened the sprinkler main all the way, tried both solenoid and manual activation, and nothing.

I get a super strong stream out of the manual screw from all the water pressure built up whenever I try doing the manual activation. When I unbolt the valve cap back off the new diaphragm is always stuck to the top of the cap despite lathering the entire thing with KY Jelly. Only way I can get the diaphragm to come off is by screwing down on the flow control so that it presses the diaphragm it out of the valve cap. Is this normal?

The old diaphragm never got stuck to the valve cap. I re-installed the old ruptured diaphragm and station 4 comes right on after turning on the sprinkler main.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 25th 2019, 7:41pm

You bought the wrong diaphragm. You bought a jar top diaphragm. They look similar but the hole in the middle is bigger on the jar top.
You need this diaphragm

jogirob

Wednesday, June 26th 2019, 9:11am

You bought the wrong diaphragm. You bought a jar top diaphragm. They look similar but the hole in the middle is bigger on the jar top.
You need this diaphragm
Thank you kind sir. Purchased and will update the thread when installed.

Rate this thread