You are not logged in.

Friday, August 2nd 2019, 11:42pm

Incredibly noisy, vibrating valve - any ideas?

I've got 3 valves in manifold that sprinkle 3 areas in my backyard. The left and right valves work quietly. The middle valve makes an incredible amount of noise and seems to vibrate all of the pipes in the house!

Here's an image of the manifold

I've tried to fix the middle valve, but haven't figured it out yet:1) I checked for crud inside the middle sprinkler. Couldn't find anything
2) I replaced the solenoid, thinking that maybe it was problematic. No change
3) I swapped the whole top units of the left valve and the middle valve and the left valve was still quiet and the middle valve still noise. ?(

So, I've got to assume it's lower down in the middle valve. I'm kind of assuming I need to replace the whole manifold... but wanted to see if any of the experts in this forum had any good ideas.Thank you very much in advance!
John

mrfixit

Saturday, August 3rd 2019, 2:04am

Rebuilding the manifold wont do anything. The problem's most likely electrical.

Try switching the wires at the controller and see if the problem switches valves. If it does, then the controller's causing the noise. if it doesn't, I'd say the wiring's doing it. Is there a spare wire you can hook up to the middle valve?

So, let's say those valves are 1 2 3 on the timer. Try swapping 1 and 2. See if the noise moves to another valve or stays in the middle.

Maybe put the middle wire to an unused port on the controller.

I'm assuming this is a new issue? That it worked fine before? You didn't add any heads to the line or modify it in any way?

Saturday, August 3rd 2019, 5:31pm

Thanks mrfixit.I swapped the valve heads (which included the
solenoid and wires) between the left one and the middle one. So at this
point, the middle one is on a new channel on the controller, has new
wires, and a new top half, including solenoid and lead wires.
Unfortunately, it's still noisy! The left one isn't noisy, so it seems
like it may not be wiring. Have you ever seen where it might be pipes
that are too close together or a loose pipe fitting or something else?

Thank you!

mrfixit

Saturday, August 3rd 2019, 8:07pm

Can you upload a video of the sound? Maybe there's something stuck in the pipe below the adapter? Maybe take the adapter back off and flush it out.
Is it a fast vibration? Is there a pressure reducer after the valve for like a drip line?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 4th 2019, 11:34am

Check to see that the supply valve(s) are fully opened. The loudest and most forceful pipe-banging vibrations come from a supply restriction interacting with a zone valve, especially when the zone valve has no flow control to adjust (throttle it down for smoother zone opening)

Sunday, August 4th 2019, 1:11pm

Thanks mrfixit and Wet_Boots.Here's a short video of the sound it makes. This is before I flushed it this morning: https://imgur.com/a/jYPbmZoAt the start it's just a water noise, then 6 seconds in, you hear a vibration then at 8 seconds it's the vibration

Here are some photos of the valve head after I took it apart and flushed it: https://imgur.com/a/WyrdNLB
Finally,
in this short video (https://imgur.com/a/l0Xwklp) you can here the
noise and then what happens if I hold the valve head. As you can see,
the vibration stops.
I tried fully opening the supply valve and restricting it and it made no difference.Essentially, my band aid solution is to stick
some foam between the valve head and the wall but ultimately I'd love to
figure out what's going on and how to fix the valve head!
Thank you again!

mrfixit

Sunday, August 4th 2019, 1:29pm

It really does sound like a low flow problem. What happens when you open the bleeder screw?
Are the flow controls turned down too low?
Is there a pressure regulator on the sprinkler system?
I've seen both ball and gate valves break in the off or near off position even though the handle's open all the way.

My initial thinking is that the valve is bad but you said you swapped it for another.

Ok, thought of something simple to try. Take the anti-syphon cap off, leave it off. Take the plunger out so you don't lose it. Now turn the water on. Do you have full flow? Does the problem go away? If the valves working fine then the problem's after the valve.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Aug 4th 2019, 3:25pm)

Rate this thread