You are not logged in.

ls73

Wednesday, August 7th 2019, 2:48am

Sprinkler system design

I am planning sprinkler system for my front lawn. The lawn is relatively square but separated by sidewalk and walkway.

I plan to run 3/4" PVC pipe from garden hose valve coming from the wall of my house. I ran the pipes underneath the sidewalk and walkway.

I plan to use water hose faucet timer to control the sprinkler system.

I checked the water flow from the valve and I filled 5 gal bucket in 20 seconds.

I have few questions.

Is this system appropriate?

How many sprinklers can I put on one line? Some line will be 45 feet long since I will need to install sprinklers from other side of sidewalk. Do I need to build a manifold near the valve?

What kind of sprinklers do I use?

How many drain valves do I need to install? Is one per each line sufficient?

How do I connect PVC manifold to the hose timer attached to the valve? I could not find any flexible hose that I can use.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 8th 2019, 7:46am

RE: Sprinkler system design

I am planning sprinkler system for my front lawn

Right off the bat, NO. You aren't specifying the backflow prevention you will install to protect the water supply. And no, the faucet contains nothing to meet this need.

ls73

Thursday, August 8th 2019, 5:30pm

Right off the bat, NO. You aren't specifying the backflow prevention you will install to protect the water supply. And no, the faucet contains nothing to meet this need.

I have backflow preventer valve between garden hose valve and the water hose faucet timer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 9th 2019, 3:12pm

Quoted from "ls73"

I have backflow preventer valve between garden hose valve and the water hose faucet timer.
Really? Do please share with us the make and model number of this item.

ls73

Friday, August 9th 2019, 11:41pm

Quoted from "ls73"

Really? Do please share with us the make and model number of this item.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 15th 2019, 6:25pm

Only a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) provides actual vacuum breaker protection when feeding any sort of electric valve(s), and they cost real money and plumbing effort to install.

It's worth the effort to do the plumbing right. The only thing that should be connected to a faucet-mounted timer valve is a hose and a hose-end sprinkler, all above ground.

mrfixit

Thursday, August 15th 2019, 7:00pm

What about something like a DIG battery operated ASV?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 16th 2019, 6:53am

What about something like a DIG battery operated ASV?
ASVs are the thriftiest way to get real backflow protection when using a hose bib as a water source. One for each zone. Separate controller and standard ASVs would be cheaper on a 4-zone system than going with battery-operated ASVs.

This involves some real plumbing, in order to get a result that isn't flimsy, but nothing about is impossible.

ls73

Friday, August 16th 2019, 12:27pm

Only a pressure vacuum breaker (PVB) provides actual vacuum breaker protection when feeding any sort of electric valve(s), and they cost real money and plumbing effort to install.

It's worth the effort to do the plumbing right. The only thing that should be connected to a faucet-mounted timer valve is a hose and a hose-end sprinkler, all above ground.
This is exactly what I am using.

"Mueller/B & K 108-904RP Backflow Preventer-Vacuum Breaker"

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 16th 2019, 2:59pm

This is exactly what I am using.

"Mueller/B & K 108-904RP Backflow Preventer-Vacuum Breaker"
No it is not, just like a string tied to a brick is not an emergency brake for your car, even if you wrote the words "Emergency Brake" on the brick.

cue Crocodile Dundee moment - "This is a PRESSURE Vacuum Breaker"

The real thing costs real money. The word 'pressure' is not to be found in name of that tinkertoy with the number 108-904RP. What will be found on the real-thing PVB is the approval ASSE 1020, which is what your design will require if you intend to use the hose timer to feed a sprinkler system.