You are not logged in.

bcd11

Wednesday, August 28th 2019, 4:35pm

Hunter or ?

Has anyone found a brand of sprinkler head that is better than the Hunter PGP 4" in sandy conditions?

Right out of the chute I'll say I've been happy overall with the Hunter PGP's. The issue I have is replacing the guts of the sprinkler every year or two.

We are on the Lake Michigan shoreline and basically live on a sand dune, the sand is VERY fine. I pull water from wells I dropped to feed the system. I think the sand does a pretty good job of scoring the pop-up body of the sprinkler and seal. SOMETIMES replacing the seal will reduce/eliminate the leaking when the system is on...that's a good day. Usually the guts have to be replaced...that's a more normal day.

Has anyone found a sprinkler head that stands up really well in a fine sand environment or do I just accept replacing the seal/guts is the way of the sandy world?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

mrfixit

Thursday, August 29th 2019, 12:44am

Using a stainless steel rotor would be better for sandy soils. The sprinkler will last longer and perform better.

bcd11

Thursday, August 29th 2019, 11:02am

Hunter or ?

Thanks MrFix! :thumbup:

Thought of that last night AFTER posting to the forum.

If the sprinkler gods are smiling on me I might even be able to use some of the bazillion seals I bought when the seal on the SS rotor needs replacing. Time to check specs and see if that is a possibility.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion.
Using a stainless steel rotor would be better for sandy soils. The sprinkler will last longer and perform better.

Rate this thread