You are not logged in.

cupboy

Sunday, August 18th 2019, 9:31pm

Valve box filling with water

I guess something has started leaking. Both valves work ok, even underwater. The brand is Hunter. I guess the only solution is to replace both of them. I'll try a different brand this time.I read in another thread: No problem as long as you have grease caps on the wire connections.

Another idea is :valve Diaphragm Assembly for Hunter PGV 1 inch Valves - all ASV & SRV ValvesCosts about as much as the whole valve though.

update: The leak is coming from one of the valves and not near a pipe. I would reply to the post below rather than update my original post but I do not see how a reply is done on this forum. There is no button to click. Weird!
update 2: I will check for a different forum to sign up for. Any suggestions, reply here (if you know how).

This post has been edited 8 times, last edit by "cupboy" (Aug 21st 2019, 1:54pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, August 18th 2019, 10:06pm

One thing I've learned over the years is that you can't assume anything.
Installing new valves might not fix the flooding problem.
You need to pinpoint that before you do anything.
Turn the water off to the sprinkler system, let it dry up overnight. Now turn the water supply back on. Watch closely as to where the water's coming from. It might not leak until you turn a valve on. But wait and see if it's coming from the mainline or manifold.
You can't assume you have waterproofed connections. Use these.

cupboy

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 10:20am

Looks like these Hunter PGV valves have a new internal design. I bought a diaphrahm (sorry about the spelling) but cannot get it back together. Good thing I picked up a new valve while I was at the store.

cupboy

Tuesday, September 3rd 2019, 5:05pm

no change to subject

Looks like I am switching brands. Will check out Rainbird. Hunter is junk. They do have good customer service and even sent me free parts. After replacing parts it still leaks. Amazing. And now the other Hunter valve has started leaking too and I didn't even touch that one.I know Rainbird has been switching over to China for manufacturing their sprinklers. Hopefully the valves haven't been affected yet. I may just switch to manual sprinklers if need be.