You are not logged in.

patrocle

Sunday, October 27th 2019, 7:04pm

Water Hammer while turning Sprinkler Valve On (Zone 1 & 2 only)

Just got this house few months back and i have notice that we get water hammering while the sprinkler valve at zone 1 and 2 is turned on. (zone 3,4,5 not having the hammering problem)
The hammering i can hear in the wall by the main water pipe in top , here

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2SMpod0FB0

I have checked the water pressure and is at 47 psi

I have 6 zones:
Zones:
1>front yard > 1" valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)
2>front yard > 1" valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)
3>back yard yard > 3/4 valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)
4>back yard > 3/4 valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)
5>front yard > 3/4 valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)
6>not used > 3/4 valve and pipe (coming from the ground and going to sprinkler)

I have also notice that zone 1 there is a drip line connected to it, not sure where but when i start zone 1 i have few sprinkler heads for the grass and also the drip system .
video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOFohvubdtE

As for the controller I use the Orbit 57950 B-hyve Smart Indoor/Outdoor 12-Station WiFi Sprinkler System Controller.

I am just trying to figure out if the valves at zone 1,2 are bad?, or to much flow of water goes in or... Maybe add some adapters and convert them to 3/4 water valves?

Looks that there was a mixed water valve brands when i got the house few months ago, i already replaced to water valves at zone 5 and 4 as they where leaking.

Here is few more pictures of the water valve brands that is there now:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/381wbb4pc/

Purchased some 1" pvc pipe and new valves, but before doing anything asking the pro's what you think maybe? the reason with hammering at zone 1,2 and also 1" pipe?! why not 3/4 as others?

Any help will appreciate

Thank you...

mrfixit

Monday, October 28th 2019, 3:08am

The spray is misting like crazy. I don't think you've measured the street pressure. Did you connect it to that faucet which is after the pressure regulator? Is there a place where you can test it that's before the regulator? I have an invention for that but you don't want to know about it. lol I've been using it over 20 years.

You need to cut down on how much water is flowing through the pipes. Maybe adjust the flow control down on the valve. It can be difficult on the valve in your picture but you can do it if the plastic doesn't break. It's easier to turn down when the valve is off.

Maybe use nozzles that use less water. Looks like you have 15ft sprays on a small area. Try 10 footers.

You could possibly cut the flow down by turning the shut off valve down a bit. It might create a flowing noise though.

A pressure regulator on the sprinkler system might help. Might not. You really need to cut down on the flow of water.

patrocle

Monday, October 28th 2019, 6:19pm

Thanks for reply.

Here is the size of my front yard, for zone 1 and 2.:

"The spray is misting like crazy. I don't think you've measured the street pressure. Did you connect it to that faucet which is after the pressure regulator? Is there a place where you can test it that's before the regulator? I have an invention for that but you don't want to know about it. lol I've been using it over 20 years."
>>> I am still working on fixing some of the sprinkler heads as the last owner did not do much. Yes i connected at the hose faucet after the water valve. Hmm, u right some how i need to check before that regulator but not sure how, unless i am connection at the sprinkler valve just before the water flows to it. What the 20 year invention? :)) ?

"You need to cut down on how much water is flowing through the pipes. Maybe adjust the flow control down on the valve. It can be difficult on the valve in your picture but you can do it if the plastic doesn't break. It's easier to turn down when the valve is off."
>>>will try to adjust those, i already purchased 1" orbit valves to replace them
are this the adjusting flow in those lawn genie?:

"Maybe use nozzles that use less water. Looks like you have 15ft sprays on a small area. Try 10 footers."
>>>I am working on that, all the sprinkler heads that i have looks that they are 4" inch and some are in a angle when they come out, some are lower than the grass, looks that grass w/soil is kind tall and sprinkler is kind of lower, is just a mess. Based on the measurements will have to see to fix all the sprinkler heads. Witch ones are better 4 inch sprinkler heads at home depot?, got some and few did not worked to good, leaked around,etc...

"You could possibly cut the flow down by turning the shut off valve down a bit. It might create a flowing noise though."
>>>The valve in the street is at max, it was like that and checked with other neighbors and they have it like that too,water at the shower or kitchen,etc does not have a lot of pressure so somehow i may have to leave that valve alone in the street. But i can try it, to see if any changes. Who know that maybe water psi is to high from the street to the house pipe witch from what i see the sprinklers don't have a regulator and maybe those 1" valves get the full blast from the street...

"A pressure regulator on the sprinkler system might help. Might not. You really need to cut down on the flow of water."

>>>I went few days ago to homedepot and they told me to install one of the regulators before or after the valve i am not clear on that, i think should be after i am guessing, here is a picture in what i got (30 psi) :

This may help they said...

Anyway, will try few things and hope this will get it fixed.

Thanks for helping and advice, appreciated.

Regards,

mrfixit

Thursday, October 31st 2019, 3:01am

Please don't give me credit for pointing you in the right direction. Pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

That's not the flow control that's the bleeder screw.

I don't have a clue where the sprinkler heads are placed or what kind they are.

You don't want to use that pressure regulator. It's only 30 lbs.

The shut off valve I'm referring to isn't at the meter. It's right there in your picture.

Maybe hire a guy to help you out. Pay him to fix it or just advise you.

Rate this thread