You are not logged in.

Stingray

Thursday, November 7th 2019, 9:05pm

Controller runs, display works normal,but no sprinkliong

I have an Irritrol Kwik Dial 6 contoller. It runs as normal, but no sprinkling takes place. Additionally, I recently removed the hard wired rain sensor because of a home generator install, but capped off the cut wire in a water proof cap. I did not reinstall the rain sensor. I moved the rain sensor switch in the controller to "bypass". Previously, I tested the system with the cut sensor wire and it worked. Now it does not.

Additionally, I purchased a new controller today and wired it up. Same result: it runs, looks normal, but no watering.

All stations read 28 or 29 volts when running. Others have said I have a bad common wire someplace. Would cutting and capping the rain sensor wire, even with the switch in bypass, have anything to do with the controller not functioning? Or should I concentrate on the common wire? Thanks

mrfixit

Friday, November 8th 2019, 3:20am

My first thought when I read that you've taken out the rain sensor is that it's the common wire. Double check to see if the wire you hooked up is the actual wire which goes to the valves. What about doing a continuity test on the common wire?

Is there an unused wire at the controller that you could use as the common wire if you can't figure it?

Stingray

Friday, November 8th 2019, 8:28am

Controller runs, display works normal,but no sprinkling

The peculiar thing is, when I disconnected the wired rain sensor, I immediately tested my system, several stations, and they all worked. But not now. I turned the system off for several days because we were getting rain.

There are no unused wires. I have done nothing with the wiring other than disconnect and cap off the wired rain sensor.
The rain sensor wires are black and red (not white) and look to be about 18 gauge. Yet I cannot see where the sensor wires enter my controller either.

Dumb question: How can I test continuity when I can't get to both ends of the white common wire? (inside the box in my garage and outside the garage wall in the sprinkler valve box.)

Is it possible the installer (house is only 3 years old) wired the rain sensor into the wiring that I see in the valve box?

mrfixit

Friday, November 8th 2019, 12:57pm

Nope, not a dumb question. Connect one lead to the common and one to a numbered station's wire. Disconnect them both from the controller first. What's the reading? link. Or go to Youtube. Plenty of videos on how to do it.

Is the water on? Turn a valve on manually to verify.

Double check your connection at the controller of the common wire. Maybe redo it. The wire could be broken without you knowing it. I've seen it where the casing of the wire was keeping the connection from being made as well.

You've checked the voltage at the controller, how about at the valves? Are they getting power?

You disconnected the rain sensor so that's where it was hooked up. No need to look in the box.

Stingray

Sunday, November 10th 2019, 11:03pm

Update: System now works

Happy to report that the system is up and working! The short answer is the common wire in the valve box was not connected and thusly, the circuit was broken. What I neglected to mention in my prior posts was that the installer had hard wired the red rain sensor to the common wire (white) in the box, and the black sensor wire to one of the black wires in the box. I assume he did it this way to avoid having to run the sensor wires separately into the controller in my garage. I was not aware and mistakenly thought I could just "cut out" the sensor wires from the circuit, not realizing that this in effect, cut the circuit.

I was getting 28-29 volts AC at each station at the controller and at the number 5 station in the valve box (didn't test the others), but I got no continuity readings at any station in the controller. Then I went to the valve box, saw the loose white wire and said, "oh hell!". Once connected to the other commons on the valves, problem solved.

Thanks to testing advice in this forum from MR. Fixit, as well as wiring diagrams on this site. :)

Rate this thread