You are not logged in.

illinoisjim

Wednesday, June 17th 2020, 8:24am

Raising rotors with riser extension?

Have several rotors that are an inch or two low that I need to raise. I dug one up and discovered the line to the main line was about 2" long and didn't provide much flex. I was able to raise the main line a bit and get it raised by compacting some soil under the main line and sprinkler but then saw there are riser extensions that can be added without digging to the bottom. My question is this - if I remove the enough soil to get to the top of the rotor and carefully unscrew the whole assembly, insert an extension, then replace, the sprinkler is raised but has only the pipe to support the sprinkler with nothing under the bottom of the body. Seems like the unit will still sink a bit by pushing the feed line down. I have no rock and mostly clay soil that can creep/move when wet. Is this a issue or am I concerned for nothing? I could cut a small doughnut of hard foam or something to help support the sprinkler if needed. What's the best way to do this?

mrfixit

Thursday, June 18th 2020, 1:42am

Yep, you're creating a problem where there isn't one. I'm a little confused as to how you raised the line? Is it poly pipe?
The dirt under the sprinkler will keep it from moving.

illinoisjim

Saturday, June 20th 2020, 1:22pm

The sprinkler was a couple inches below the surface. When I dug it up I discovered it was right next to the zone line with a blazing saddle and minimal tube between blazing saddle and right angle fitting on the rotor. Fittings were within 1/2" of each other inside the tube. I couldn't raise the sprinkler without putting a serious bend on the blazing saddle which caused it to leak. So I dug out a few feet of the zone line and packed some dirt under it to raise it slightly. I suppose I could have turned the sprinkler fitting and used a longer tube from the zone line in a small loop. zone line is poly.

Thinking about other rotors that need to be raised and wanting to minimize effort but still do a good job. If I dig out the top of the rotor I can remove the guts. Then unscrew the body and install a riser extension of appropriate length and screw the body back on. Then put the rotor in. My concern is the extension is supporting the sprinkler with nothing else under the body. Seems like it could sink over time if the soil isn't rocky (it isn't).

Rate this thread