You are not logged in.

geoengr

Starting Member

Wednesday, June 24th 2020, 12:21am

How to Connect Supply to Manifold

Hello,

Irrigation newbie here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have an existing system that is leaking at the connection in the ground between the copper supply line and the PVC feeding the manifold. The monitoring system my water district uses indicates I'm losing roughly 7.5 gallons per hour or nearly 5500 gallons per month due to this leak! Because of this, I'm manually closing the irrigation supply valve in the basement after each irrigation.

I inherited this system and it looks a bit hokie (see link to system photo below).

The system consists of :

FEBCO 765-1 BPV --> 1-inch copper pipe --> 1-inch PVC --> 3/4-inch ORBIT manifold --> 3/4-inch poly zones

I'd like to replace everything between the BPV and the manifold, preferably with threaded and/or push-to-connect fitting (vice soldering or gluing). I believe I can go down to 3/4 inch as the poly pipe downstream of the manifold is 3/4 inch. I'd also prefer to use something flexible to make the connections easier. I'm thinking a 1-inch to 3/4-inch brass reducer and/or elbow adapter just downstream of the BPV to turn the flow downward and transition to either PEX or PVC. I assume I'd need to wrap either of these to mitigate UV degradation.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track!

Thanks!

supply line picture

This post has been edited 8 times, last edit by "Ken_Carson" (Jun 24th 2020, 12:01pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 30th 2020, 6:03pm

The photo doesn't quite make obvious what the copper plumbing terminates with, but there are two different methods employed, depending on whether the copper ends with female threads or male threads.

But before you get into that consider using an upgrade in pipe thread sealant. Teflon tape is usually fine on its own, but to take it up a notch, get some Megaloc at Home Depot and redo the transition between the copper and PVC.

Rate this thread