You are not logged in.

Jdotbuch

Thursday, July 30th 2020, 12:10pm

Zone very low pressure, valve or leak?

Hi,

Looking for some help troubleshooting very low pressure in one zone. It appeared to be completely off but on closer inspecting the water is trickling out if all 4 heads. The rest of the 4 zones are working fine. Running the zone manual or via the controller is the same result. I suspect the issue is with the valve and not a leak because I don't get nearly the same amount of water use on the meter and I can't hear the water flowing like I do for the other zones. Is this a poor inference?

I have played with the valve, cleaned it as best I could, poked at a hole where some other post mentioned there could be a loose debris blockage. I also replaced the solenoid just because I had an extra. Volatage and resistance are fine, which I did really suspect since it is not coming on manually but I figured I might as well check.

I am looking for any validations here, or ideas. I inherited this system and could even use help identifying the type of orbit valve and the size 1inch, 3/4 or? I am trying not to replace the valve because it is so close to the other valve I imagine I'll have an issue spinning it out.

see pics

mrfixit

Friday, July 31st 2020, 4:37am

I believe the parts from either one of these valves would work but good luck finding them.

It's poly pipe so maybe the line is pinched by a tree root?

You could aways cut the pipe or unscrew that barbed fitting then turn the valve on to see. If you're able to unscrew that barbed fitting, screw a male adapter in there with some pipe so you don't flood the hole.

What's the deal with the port on the left?

If you took the tops off of the valves there might be enough room to unscrew it but it sure is in there funny. If you swap out the valve, get a better brand. Like an Irritrol 2500. An Irritrol 700 would easily fit in there. I don't know what the pipe size is. You'll have to figure that.

I don't know what kind of sprinklers you have but if you can turn them off with a screwdriver then look for flooding.

Jdotbuch

Friday, July 31st 2020, 10:28am

Thanks mrfixit, I appreciate your insights.

It could be a pinched pipe, but I am leaning to the valve first as I would think the pressure would be reduced more gradually in pinched. This worked 100% the last I saw about 10 days ago. I like your idea with taking out the barbed fitting and putting something in to not flood the hole. I have some extra polypipe that may fit.

Right! that port on the left is a question, it doesn't seem like it is capped off or anything but doesn't leak. There are some more questionable things going on down there but I only took photos of the valve in question. There is another port and valve completely disconnected, it must have been shot off somewhere because all zone are covered on the lawn.

I'm very new to all this, but the electronics and plumbing seem reasonable to understand. I have thoughts about just cutting this all out to set this up a little better. It least if I clean it up better I can see what is going on with that uncapped port.

I have looked on a few occasions for flooding. I'm not seeing it and not finding any soft spots.

If it's the valve, I will take it out to confirm the size. We are expecting rain this week so it feels like a good time to work on this as I won't need my sprinklers.

Thanks,

J.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 31st 2020, 12:20pm

........I have thoughts about just cutting this all out........
Now you're thinking. Useful recommendations about what Orbit valve(s) to install are hard to come by, because pros don't use valves that can't be repaired on account of no local sources for parts.

Just for grins, photograph the all the valves in the system. There is a plumbing layout that would prove useful if you could never get any zone valves other than Orbit.

mrfixit

Friday, July 31st 2020, 8:13pm

Are you sure those valves even have a water supply that's turned on? Seems like it would be flooding from where the valve is missing. Undo a couple of screws on the valve and see if it leaks. What happened when you took the solenoid off? Did you turn the water off?

Jdotbuch

Saturday, August 1st 2020, 8:23am

Fixed!

It appears it is fixed for now :)
So testing the valve proved useful. I will include images and links to video. I don't seem to be able to embed the photos right now but will provide links.

I replaced the value, all that was available at my local home depot was a Rain Bird, but hey it was less than $15. Unfortunately, it was about a half inch shorter than the previous Orbit. I went for extending on the port side to give me a bit more room so the valves are not jammed up against each other. I picked up a galvanized nipple and and Union and cut back the Poly a bit.

The port with no valve is actually capped. Hard to see with the mud in the shot but I did verify. It cap part in inset.

• Low flow video link
  • Leaking Assembly link
  • Hack to compensate link
  • Final, fixed link

I realize it's probably crude for the experienced. When I am feeling adventurous I will take the whole thing out and clean it up. The wire management is also pretty bad.

Thanks for the support. My zone will not dry up in this heat.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Jdotbuch" (Aug 1st 2020, 8:35am)