You are not logged in.

mmmmcmix

Sunday, September 13th 2020, 2:02pm

Water gushing out of valve's cap

Hi all,

I have a very old Champion sprinkler metal (brass?) valve with 466 written on it which I guess is the model number. The pipe is 1". There is nothing else written on the valve except the manufacturing city which is LA Calif. I found the water gushing out of the cap and it appears the cap's gasket is cut. The gasket measures 1.5" in diameter. I searched for a replacement of the gasket and everywhere I find 1" gasket for 466 and not 1.5". Can anyone help me on how to source this replacement part please?

mrfixit

Sunday, September 13th 2020, 5:35pm

If you can't find a washer then you can buy a kit.
Kit
What you need should be in here.

mmmmcmix

Monday, September 14th 2020, 12:41am

Thank you. I came across this in google search but was not sure it would fit as the make is Orbit and quotes only 3/4" and 1". I will give it a try and reply.

mrfixit

Monday, September 14th 2020, 12:53am

The washer might not fit the plastic float. So just use the new 1" float with the new washer from the kit.

mmmmcmix

Monday, September 14th 2020, 10:09am

The float and the float's washer are in good condition. Its actually the cap's 1.5" gasket which shuts this float which is broken. Will check the kit and see if it offers the replacement gasket.

mrfixit

Monday, September 14th 2020, 2:09pm

You described the problem as gushing water. That can't happen simply from the gasket being broken. Look for calcification on the brass stem thing under the cap. The part that the float slides up and down on. The calcification could be keeping the float from sealing. Scrape it off with a small flathead screwdriver.

You can always use 1/2" teflon tape on the threads instead of a gasket.
I've seen people use an O-ring instead of a gasket. It seems to work.

mmmmcmix

Monday, September 14th 2020, 6:13pm

Thanks for the reply. Will check that as well. Bought the repair kit this afternoon and will give it a shot with all those fixes.

Rate this thread