You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sweptwing

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 6:43am

New valves slow to close

I have just installed a new system using nelson 9000 series non flow controll valves. Out of 12 zones, about 5 of them close too slow. I also have a nelson controller that does not allow adjustment of zone change times. Sometimes it switches zones and it takes an additional 20 to 30 seconds to close the last zone resulting in puddling because of extremely low pressure. This is on a well system running 60psi. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 2:47pm

Now you know why they make flow control zone valves. You either need a fancier controller, or new valves (or just the cover assemblies for those Nelsons) that have the flow controls you should have used in the first place.

sweptwing

Monday, April 25th 2005, 5:02am

Like I said, they are brand new to begin with and they are the same ones I used on my last system on city water. What would flow control do for me when I need all the flow I can get anyway?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 5:40am

In ancient days, there were carburetors on automobile engines, and one would adjust the carburetor flow screw down to the point it would slow down the performance, and then you would back off a quarter turn. A lawn sprinkler flow control valve would be adjusted the same way. The result is no change in pressure, but a valve that will shut off more quickly, because it was only partially open (but far enough) in the first place.

sweptwing

Monday, April 25th 2005, 12:42pm

Ok, I understand that now. Now does anyone have a solution or idea or do I just get a better controller at this point? Also, why did it work just fine on city water and not on a well system with the same pressure and gpm?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 2:14pm

There may be some manufacturing variations in the valves. The only practical solutions are either the flow-control valves, or a new controller with a programmable pause between zones.

sweptwing

Monday, April 25th 2005, 2:59pm

Thanks for that. Any suggestions on controllers? Toro, Rainbird? Which ones have an adjustable delay? Thanks again for the info.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 4:40pm

Dollarwise, you may do better getting flow control covers for the valves that need them. I doubt that a 12 zone controller with a programmible pause between stations will be available for less than $200 - it's not a feature I've ever needed, (since I favor the use of flow-control valves) and it isn't found on entry-level models. What is the present controller?

sweptwing

Tuesday, April 26th 2005, 3:28am

I have a nelson smartzone now. About 4 yrs old. I see the new nelson clock (available at warehouse) is about $100 and does have that feature I think? Says from 1 second to 30 minutes delay. What do you think? I need the 12 zone.

Rate this thread