You are not logged in.

Daniel12

Unregistered

Sunday, November 8th 2020, 10:49am

valve stays open after blowing out water

I am doing winterization first time with a 6-gallon air compressor. I have 8 zones with 8 Hunter RSV valves (no flow control knob, no master valve). I set the compressor regulator at 50 psi. After blowing water from Zone 1, I closed Zone 1 valve and opened Zone 2 valve from controller. When blowing Zone 2, I saw water bubbling out from both Zone 1 and Zone 2 heads. Then I closed Zone 2 and opened Zone 3 valve to see what would happen. When trying to blow Zone 3, I still saw water bubbling out from Zone 1 and Zone 2 heads, but not from Zone 3. It seems that Zone 1 and Zone 2 valves stayed open after the 1st attempt of blowing even though I closed them from the controller. Is it possible both Zone 1 and Zone 2 valves are damaged (won't close)? I understand I can only blow 1 zone at a time and it will take a couple tries to complete each zone with such a small compressor. If the valves are not damaged, can I close them manually without turning on the water supply (so I can winterize one zone at a time)? Thank you

mrfixit

Monday, November 9th 2020, 4:04am

We don't winterize on the west coast where I live. So I'm just making a suggestion.
If the sprinklers are spray heads, maybe turn each one off with a screwdriver. Sounds like a lot of work but my other idea is too. And that's changing the bonnets to ones with flow controls.
Are the lines down hill so they're self draining? Or maybe they have a drain built into the end of the line.
Maybe each valve has it's own shut off and you don't know it.
If there's more than one manifold, maybe each manifold has it's own shut off.
I'm not going to suggest turning up the pressure because I don't know if that's allowable without damaging something. Seems like maybe you could. Ok, I googled. Says 50lbs for poly pipe and 80 max for pvc.

Rate this thread