You are not logged in.

Tuesday, November 10th 2020, 2:49pm

Hooking a hose bib to an existing dripline on my system

I have a dripline zone on my system that's causing my backflow valve to vibrate. I've read multiple places that it's likely due to a flow issue (not enough water moving to keep something in the backflow open.

So, what I thought I could do is just hook up an outdoor spigot to the end of the line and run the dripline manually. Will that introduction of "back pressure" from the other end of the dripline hurt the manifold?

And... :) Do you know of a way I could get the backflow valve to stop vibrating when the dripline is running?

TIA for any advice!

Steve

mrfixit

Tuesday, November 10th 2020, 3:11pm

The vibration is most likely coming from the pressure reducer. Take it out and install one of these RainBird Filter/Reducer.

You don't really want to hook it up to the faucet. Then you're stuck having to turn it on and off by hand.

If the vibration continues, swap out the valve to a low flow valve.

Tuesday, November 10th 2020, 5:38pm

The vibration is most likely coming from the pressure reducer. Take it out and install one of these RainBird Filter/Reducer.

You don't really want to hook it up to the faucet. Then you're stuck having to turn it on and off by hand.

If the vibration continues, swap out the valve to a low flow valve.

Thanks mrfixit!

I don't believe there's a pressure reducer anywhere on that drip-line, so I'll head out to Ace or Home Depo and try to find the one you mention? Does it matter "where" in the line I put it? Before the drip line? At the end of the line?
And one last question, since I'm a verbiage n00b. When you say "swap out the valve", you mean the manifold valve in the sprinkler box, or some other valve?

Steve

mrfixit

Wednesday, November 11th 2020, 12:48am

Sorry, I think I misunderstood when you said back flow.

Yep it's most likely a low flow problem. There's not a pressure regulator? That's the only time that I've seen them hum. Either a regulator turned down too low or a pressure reducer that's either a bad design from the factory or just worn out.

Can you open up the end of the drip line to increase the flow to see if the noise goes away?

Maybe add a few more emitters or swap out the emitters to a higher flow per minute emitter.

I'm not sure that installing the item that I suggested will make a difference if you don't already have a reducer on the system.
Take another look to see if you can find one.

As far as the valve goes, it's probably ok. I was thinking that the valve was humming. Thought you meant it was an Anti-syphon valve.

Thursday, November 12th 2020, 2:26pm

Quoted

As
far as the valve goes, it's probably ok. I was thinking that the valve
was humming. Thought you meant it was an Anti-syphon valve.
Thanks again for all the tips. I've already blown out the system for the
winter, but the thing that's vibrating (I think) is in the middle of the
brass thing on my wall with the ball-valves and poppit valve in it. I
think the vibration is coming from just underneath the poppit valve. If I
take the cap off, I can see that the water pressure is holding that
firmly in place.

When I reactivate the system in spring, I'll try all your other suggestions.

Steve
I tried adding a picture of what I'm talking about, but this system is limiting the size of my post to 10,000 characters, and my picture won't upload... :(

mrfixit

Thursday, November 12th 2020, 7:54pm

Go to https://imgbb.com/, upload the pic, then copy the "BBCode Full Linked" address to your post. Make sure you do NOT checkmark auto delete.

Find the brass back flow to the house to see if it's vibrating at all.

Would be great if you could post a video somewhere.

Saturday, November 14th 2020, 5:09pm

Go to https://imgbb.com/, upload the pic, then copy the "BBCode Full Linked" address to your post. Make sure you do NOT checkmark auto delete.

Find the brass back flow to the house to see if it's vibrating at all.

Would be great if you could post a video somewhere.

Here's the image: and where it feels like the vibration/noise is coming from.

When I re-energize the system next year, I'll do the video thing you're mentioning...

And thanks again for your time and feedback. I appreciate it!

mrfixit

Saturday, November 14th 2020, 11:22pm

Looks like the image is gone. Maybe you check marked auto delete by accident.

Rate this thread