You are not logged in.

jsdtx

Starting Member

Wednesday, February 3rd 2021, 3:28pm

DIY Homeowner Replacement of a Controller

I have a Rainbird ESP 16 LX that is 20 years old and it sometimes malfunctions so it is time to replace it. It looks like the ESP-Me 16 station would be a good replacement. Three questions.

1. Can a homeowner with moderate skill replace this or should it be done by a professional?

2. Some of the more high tech controllers made by nonsprinkler companies seem better but tend to work only if all conditions are perfect. Is that accurate? Rainbird still is used by the installers for a reason.

3. Some use the ESP line and some use the Pro C line. Any recommendations

Thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jsdtx" (Feb 3rd 2021, 4:03pm)

mrfixit

Thursday, February 4th 2021, 8:23pm

Hello.
1. You can easily do it. Just write down where all the wires are attached to the controller before removing them. You have a lot of wires. Keep careful track because you can screw it up.

2. I don't know anything about non sprinkler companies making a better sprinkler controller than RainBird or Hunter.

3. My personal preference is the Hunter brand but either will do you just fine. I like the Hunter remote controls. 16 zones is a lot of zones to maintain. You might want to look into getting a remote. You wont regret having one.