You are not logged in.

dosercody

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 27th 2021, 12:00pm

Leak in system but conflicting information from "pro."

Hey guys. So I bought a new home and I've been experimenting with the irrigation system trying to find which valve is to which zone and so on. That was pretty easy, and I did find a spigot at the back of the property that must be hooked into the irrigation somehow as when I shut off the main valve to irrigation only it does not flow.

One zone in the front, 3 in the back. Don't know where or how the spigot is connected to anything, never had that or done that before.

Here's the trouble: There's a leak somewhere in the system.
Water is shut off at the house and my meter is still running, and running pretty good in my opinion. So I haven't messed with valves and irrigation much as a whole, so I thought the point of the valves is to regulate when the water goes to the sprinklers, usually automatically with a controller. But when the system is off, I still have a good leak going (about $45 a month in water from what i can tell or 1/3 of my bill). I hired a pro to come out and look as I thought I'd just be a valve issue that I didn't have time to explore, though he was fumbling around and seems not to think so. He ended up replacing a ball valve that shuts off water to the system which is great but didn't fix the issue. Isn't that the only place it could be, in the automatic valves? If the main water line runs to the valves, and the valves shut off the water to the irrigation system, shouldn't then there be no leaks even if there was a sprinkler head issue or a spigot issue? Please help me where you can :) as I'm lost! Fortunately winter for the next few months, and just got my most recent water bill which was $100 less since I shut the irrigation off with that main ball valve!

Thank you in advance.

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 27th 2021, 2:45pm

If a new ball valve was installed which turns the water supply off to the entire sprinkler system and that hose bib in the backyard, then the problem isn't with the valves.
From what you've described, I'd look between the water meter and the house.
A lot of times I'll find a lead where the plastic PVC mainline from the street attaches to the copper pipe going into the house. It's one place to look.

Look around for dampness or a wet spot or a mushy spot between the meter and the rest of the system. Look all the way up to that ball valve. Maybe you ran the guy off by disagreeing with him. I'm not saying you did but if I have a guy who wont listen to what I'm telling him, I leave, letting him find a new guy. How can it be a sprinkler valve when the water supply is shut off to them?

dosercody

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 27th 2021, 2:55pm

Thanks Mr. fixit. Well when that ball valve is closed, the leak stops. So if I understand how the valves work (which is part of what i thought was wrong), and assuming they aren't leaking, then I imagine the only place for the leak to be would be between the valve and where the irrigation supply hooks up to the main water line? Which I know is essentially what you said I believe. I would dig it all up and look myself though the box is surrounded by concrete so it'll be a fun one. Thank you for the reply!

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 27th 2021, 5:40pm

Ok, maybe I misunderstood.

If that ball valve shuts off the leak, then the problem is obviously after the new shut off valve.

If a sprinkler valve was letting water get by it, the water would be coming out of a sprinkler head somewhere. Look for a wet spot.

Since the valves are cemented in, you might have a problem on your hands.

The leak could be at the bottom of the pipe leading to the garden faucet.

The leak could be anywhere really. That main line is under pressure 24/7. It's not necessarily a valve.

Call a different guy. Or, just turn the ball valve off and wait til spring. I don't know if you winterize or not.