You are not logged in.

StanSt

Tuesday, May 31st 2022, 8:05pm

Sprinkler stations pulsate - Goes On Off On Off On Off...

My mother in law has an Rain Dial RD900-INT-R with 6 stations. Whenever one goes on, it pulsates. The sprinklers for that station go on, the sprinklers pop up, then they go off and down. Then they go on and pop up, and as soon as they're up it goes off. On, pop up, then off. On, pop up, off. On, pop up, off. Almost at the speed you can read it, maybe a second or two for an up/down.

I've found someone on line who says theirs was chattering, and they replaced a capacitor and that fixed it for them - Mine isn't going fast enough to be considered chattering, but if anyone has a fix or knows where to look (or what cap to replace) I'd appreciate some help!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "StanSt" (May 31st 2022, 9:39pm)

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 31st 2022, 11:54pm

The controller is causing the issue. That's one of the quirks of the RainDial. I've seen no other controller do this. You could move the wire to a terminal that you know is working to prove to yourself that I'm right.
If there's a spare unused terminal you could try to see if that one's good. Just move the wire there. You could be good for a few more years this way.
But if you replace the faceplate the problem will be solved. If you go this route you'll need the older style faceplate because the plug is different now. Can get them on Ebay. I bet if you look inside the battery compartment there's a date around the year 2000. I think this connector will enable you to use a newer faceplate on the older RainDials so you wont have to Ebay. But I've never gone this route.
Or replace the entire controller with whatever model you wish.
Good luck!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jun 1st 2022, 12:02am)

StanSt

Thursday, June 2nd 2022, 12:32am

The date inside the battery compartment is 07-28-12. I'd rather not replace the controller, it was kinda pricey. I'm hoping for an easy fix.
I'll try moving a couple of the stations to unused terminals and try to hope for the best. But it's using 6 stations out of 9 so if it works it'll still need fixing. It started with only one station doing it, and then the other started also - so I think he whole thing is 'infected'.
I have to get this fixed as we're in a severe drought area and starting today (6-1-22), will only be allowed to water on Mondays and Fridays before 9 am or after 4 pm, for up to 8 minutes per station.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 4th 2022, 2:00pm

the word "pulsate" suggests the possibility of another issue - check to see that there are no partially-closed valves in the "supply chain" - not just the sprinkler system shutoff valve, but the house shutoff valve, too - every now and then a valve is partially closed, which sets up the zone valves to oscillate between open and closed, sometimes with enough force to feel through your feet when you stand on your lawn

RickyMac07

Unregistered

Saturday, July 23rd 2022, 9:04am

Similar problem with 2 zones pulsateing

I have a Hunter Pro-C, and I have two zones that are doing the same pulsating as mentioned above. A sprinkler company did a repair last reay where they had to repair the wire between the two valves that are having the issue. I have tried to get them to come out and check it, but they keep stalling. The only other thing I can add is that after a few minutes of pulsating, the zones error out, and shut down the system.

RickyMac07

Unregistered

Saturday, July 23rd 2022, 2:25pm

Update on pulsating sprinkler zones

I have one available connection left, so I moved both bad zones (one at a time) to that connector, and they worked fine. SO now I just need to figure out do I need just a part, or get a whole new controller. Thank you!!!!!

mrfixit

Saturday, July 23rd 2022, 10:37pm

Are both zones on the same module? If so, installing a new module should to it. You could always move modules around to see if the problem moves with them.
I'm just assuming that there's more than one module. Maybe not. Maybe so.

Rate this thread