You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 17th 2022, 5:45pm

Hunter PGP Ultra not rotating

I have a circuit that I turned on for the first time in a long while. It has 7 Hunter PGP Ultra heads on the circuit. Each of the heads has the low volume nozzle .5 / 15°. I have an identical circuit, except the PVC pipe that works just fine so it seems the house pressure is ok. I can control the flow lower with the control valve flow control valve.
I cannot get any of the valves on this circuit to rotate, spray is low and always in the same direction. Can this be anything other than the control valve.

The only thing else I can think of doing is putting a head from the working circuit on the non working one. Would this be useful?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 17th 2022, 8:53pm

Either the valve isn't working properly or there's a breach in the pipe somewhere.
Could be that the flow control on the valve is turned down too low.
Sometimes a PGP gets broken off. Go around to each head, look for puddling. Actually there could be puddling anywhere from a broken pipe. Let it run for a long time to see if you can find one.
Do this first. Try turning the valve on with the bleeder screw. Did they come on full force? If so, the valve needs repair. It could be the valve either way.
What's the model of valve?
You mentioned something about swapping out a sprinkler. Unless the seals are worn out on your PGP's, which does happen, then swapping sprinklers wont tell you much. You can pull up the heads manually to see if they'll stay popped up.
Try the bleeder screw first, then look for flooding.

Nefarious

Unregistered

Thursday, August 18th 2022, 4:41pm

Hunter PGP Ultra not rotating

After more then a half day of attempting to sort this out, I now believe it is either the heads or the nozzles. Here is what I did to come to that conclusion.

First I tried the blender test and it was no different. So I went on to the next suggestion. I had already run the circuit for about 10 minutes and water was going to start accumulating and if I was going to have to run it for a very long time to find pipe leaks I decided to one by one replace the heads with 3/4 threaded caps. Replace one and try it to see if it rotated. I got all the way to replacing 4 of 7 before a couple of them started rotating. I also noticed that the pressure didn't seem enough. Just a mist and not a foll throw. At 2 heads both rotated but still just a misty spray.

I replaced the second to the last and the first seemed to rotate correctly but the water stream was not sufficient.

At this point I went to the other similar circuit and took one of the heads and replaced the raining head with it. It worked like it was supposed to. I took another head and replaced the next to the last one with it and it also worked as expected. I took the two that I replaced and moved them to the other circuit and they worked as they did in their original circuit, a misty spray. I tried to adjust and it would not get better.

On closer examination of the defective unit I could see water pushing out of the bottom of the nozzle, not a tight fit

Not sure what the next step is, either try new nozzles, or maybe just replace the heads with MP3000 rotator heads. I wish they had these when I first put this in. I only need 24 ft of coverage.

mrfixit

Thursday, August 18th 2022, 11:44pm

Are the sprinklers full of debris?
You said that you moved one of the bad sprinkler to a zone that works. And that there was no change yes? And you moved a good sprinkler to the bad zone and it worked?
Unscrew the innards of one. Is it clean inside? No debris behind the nozzle either?
I wouldn't switch to Hunter rotators. If you want that type of nozzle, go with the RainBird brand. Some people swear by the Hunter rotators. I'm not one of them.
But I do love the Hunter PGP's.

Rate this thread