You are not logged in.

KJC6911

Tuesday, September 27th 2022, 9:14am

Rainbird Valve Runs Every time Each Zone Runs

A few weeks ago, I had a Rainbird DVF In-Line valve (Zone 7) start to act up on me. I changed out the all of the internal parts and put it back together. I ran it after the repair and it worked fine so I went go about my business.

Yesterday, I noticed the same zone I repaired was running every time each of the other zones (1-6) & (8-9) were running. Upon investigation, it appears Zone 7 will run by itself just fine. Note: There is a P/MV on the system.

I checked each of the zones on the controller with a multimeter and they all check out fine.

At first I thought it might be a wiring (common) issue but now I think it may have something to do with debris in the valve preventing it from completely closing properly.

Anybody have similar problems?

Thanks.

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 27th 2022, 3:03pm

There's still a problem with zone 7. Try this, disconnect the wire from number 7 then turn on number 7 with the controller. It came on yes?
It came on because the master valve opened up but number 7 is on mechanically not electrically.
Is the solenoid snug clockwise?
Is it possible that you've repaired the wrong valve? Seen it done a few times. I did it myself a couple of times. To error is human.

KJC6911

Thursday, September 29th 2022, 12:34pm

Yes, it is entirely possible I repaired the wrong valve. Today, I went back over there (rent house) and took your advice. I disconnected the wire from number 7 in the controller and sure enough it still runs. And it also runs whenever you run any of the other 8 zones. But here comes the real mystery.. ?(

Valves 6, 7 & 8 are all located right next to each other. I disconnected the wiring from all 3 solenoids since I was not 100% sure which valve was which. With the wire still disconnected from the #7 in the controller, I manually ran zone #2 and both #2 and #7 came on.

Is this starting to sound like both a master valve and a # 7 valve (internal issue)?

Thanks for any advice/input.

mrfixit

Thursday, September 29th 2022, 9:34pm

The number 7 valve needs replaced or repaired. It comes on when any other valve is operated because the master valve sends water to all of the valves no matter which valve is operated.
Since number 7 is broken, it comes on too.
If you turned the master valve on all by itself, manually, via the bleeder screw or solenoid, number 7 will come on because it now has pressure from the master valve being on.
Do the valves have flow controls? Turn off all three. Then turn on the master valve. Now unscrew the flow controls one at a time until you figure which is number 7. Don't over tighten the flow controls. You can try turning them off instead while number 7 is on but sometimes they're hard to turn that way. Actually, try it that way first. If they're hard to turn. Then do it the other way.

KJC6911

Friday, October 7th 2022, 7:26am

I finally had a chance to get back over and take a look at this problem yesterday. As soon as I took the top off the valve I knew exactly what the problem was. There was a tiny piece of plastic inside the valve that I assumed was interfering with the proper operation of the diaphragm. It was so obvious that I'm pretty sure it was introduced into the valve after my last repair. It is definitely something I would have clearly seen. I examined the diaphragm and it looked as though it was damaged from the repeated interference so I went ahead and replaced it. Cleaned everything and put it all back together and all working good. Thank you so much for your time and advice. I really do appreciate it. - KJC6911

Rate this thread