You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

grantide

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 1:34pm

Sprinkler system off of deck

<font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="black"></font id="black">

Is it possible to have a sprinkler system operate from the bottom of a raised deck? My deck area covers the majority of the property I need to water. I am looking for parts designed to be used from a deck. Don Grantier

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 2:29pm

No. Think of it, what if your deck is nine feet above grade? How do you service the parts? You know that the required backflow preventer in the sprinkler plumbing has to be higher in elevation than any of the pipes or heads that it feeds water to. (unless you employ the costly RPZ device) Elevation alone is enough to doom the idea. Also, sprinkler heads are designed with the idea that they will be close to the ground. Raise them up, and the coverage near the heads begins to disappear.

bobw

Advanced Member

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 3:03pm

While I won't disagree with Wet Boots on the general idea of this being unwise, there are most definitely sprinkling devices designed to "rain" down on stuff. They are intended for greenhouse use mainly, but if you really wanted to go with your plan, you could look at them.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 3:25pm

Is there a reason that the sprinklers cannot be installed in the ground below the deck?
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

grantide

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 3:25pm

<font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font size="5"></font id="size5"><font color="black"></font id="black">

My property is unusual in that the elevation allows the backflow preventer to be higher than any of the pipes or heads that will be used off of the deck. (6" above highest head per local code) All the parts would be accessable via a ladder from a patio below the deck.
Water would need to spray out 11 feet from the deck which is nine feet tall. Is their a way to distribute this water?

grantide

Sunday, May 15th 2005, 3:34pm

<font face="Times New Roman"></font id="Times New Roman"><font size="5"></font id="size5"><font color="black"></font id="black">

The sprinklers can be installed below the deck.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 16th 2005, 1:27am

I have seen a few sites that might have made use of this concept. The ground sloped steeply downhill from the house, and was so rocky the machine installation of pipe was a no-go. The ground cover could have been watered by sprinkler heads spraying away from house and deck. For duty high above the ground, the best sprinkler head choice is the humble impact head, because all the moving parts will splash water about which will drop down to water the ground near the head.

With only 11 feet of throw needed (instead of the 50 feet an impact head could manage) this becomes a non-issue, and you would want to use mist heads in the lower lawn (is it lawn?)

grantide

Monday, May 16th 2005, 11:57am

The ground does slope steeply downhill from the house to a flat area below the deck. The water will be sprayed on the lawn in front of the patio below the deck. The lawn ends at a 4' rock wall that runs the entire length of the deck. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />I have seen a few sites that might have made use of this concept. The ground sloped steeply downhill from the house, and was so rocky the machine installation of pipe was a no-go. The ground cover could have been watered by sprinkler heads spraying away from house and deck. For duty high above the ground, the best sprinkler head choice is the humble impact head, because all the moving parts will splash water about which will drop down to water the ground near the head.

With only 11 feet of throw needed (instead of the 50 feet an impact head could manage) this becomes a non-issue, and you would want to use mist heads in the lower lawn (is it lawn?)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 17th 2005, 3:30am

With lawn, stick with popup heads in the lawn. Long term, you don't want anything else.

Rate this thread