You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

prestige00

Thursday, July 14th 2005, 8:24am

one zone shuts off help

I have a hunter sprinkler system. Kinda new at this. There are 8 zones and my zone 2 will come on for a few minutes and then shut off. The timer still shows it to be running. It will then come on again for a few minutes a the heads will go down again. This is the only zone that does this. What could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[?]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2005, 9:09am

Get a multimeter and check the wiring.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, July 15th 2005, 9:53pm

Sounds like a short in the wiring to me, if you are not comfortable checking the wiring yourself, call in a pro. If you are comfortable doing it yourself, check the wiring in the field first, out at the valve, to make sure your wiring connections are tight and waterproofed. If everything is alright there, check in the controller to make sure no wires are touching and the wire is connected tight to the terminal.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

prestige00

Saturday, July 16th 2005, 4:46am

thanks for the help

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 16th 2005, 11:49am

Let us know your findings
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

prestige00

Monday, July 18th 2005, 5:45am

Hey I lloked in my valve box in my yard to check the wiring and I noticed that I have a leak out of. Well I don't know if its the diaphram or the valve itself. Its the piece where the twoo lines run through. Would this cause this problem only to one zone.It also seems that my other sprinklers are hitting proper parts of my yard but the grass is still burning up. I water at 4:30 am. Every other day. Sometimes twice a day every other day because we have watering bans. I bought the house and the previous owner left me no manual. Do I just buy a new valve (diaphram) and take the lines off put the new on and that should be good? More help needed thank you

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, July 18th 2005, 8:35am

The "piece" with two lines running through it that you talk about I would assume would be a valve. The valve will have an inlet, from the mainline, and an outlet, to the zone line. If it is leaking bad enough, or there is something stuck inside the valve, it could be causing this issue. First, make sure the actual lines into and out of the valve aren't leaking. You may want to take the valve apart and pull the diaphragm and check to make sure nothing is obstructing the valve. If there are no cracks in the actual plastic valve body itself, that should be ok. You can try replacing the diaphragm itself and see if that fixes your problem.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

prestige00

Tuesday, July 19th 2005, 8:27am

should I shut off the main water before disconnecting the valve or doesn't it matter. I looked again and two of the valve seem to leak from the top. Are they bad. I will pull them out this weekend. thanks

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2005, 8:53am

Yeah, definately shut off the water for the sprinkler system before doing any work on the valves. Also, bleed the water out of the zone valve in which you will be working on. If they are leaking, there is definately something wrong with them. Shut the water off, take the valves apart, and do a little investigating. Come back with your findings, and we will go from there.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread