You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rog

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:02am

Which Fertigator

This spring I installed a 9 zone, 80 head sprinkler system to cover approx 48000 sq ft. My interest has spurred about fertigation. My zones run 20-24 gpm. It's 100% turf, so my choice would be the Ferti-Flo kit since there is no need to have different applications for different zones. The problem herein lies that the Ferti-Flo doesnt seem to have the capacity (gpm rating) for my system or can I adapt it to my setup? Since all is looking good and I really have absolutely no desire to dig up my yard (again) to run controller wire, etc., can the Ferti-Pro kit be used w/o it's controller being hooked up to my controller? Also, due to the size of my lawn, what can I expect to use in quantity as far as fertilizer is concerned? Does it use it constantly? or do you put in enough for 1 month and just add that much every month?

Thanx in advance, rog

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:00pm

No, I wouldn't suggest using the Ferti-Flo for an application that big. No, you can't use the Ferti-Pro without the controller unfortunately. Not sure where your backflow device is in relation to your controller, but you can put the Ferti-Pro device right after the backflow on the mainline and run the wires from there. It is a gradual feed system, injecting a little bit of fertilizer every time you water. For that size of a system, depending upon your settings, you can probably expect to refill the fertilizer about once a month or so.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

rog

Monday, July 25th 2005, 7:06pm

Ridge, thanx for the reply. Here is some more info. I pump out of a lake and my preventer is attached to the intake tube then 60' to the pump then appox 200-220' to pump start relay. (I purchased 250' of wire and didnt have that much left over.....) my first valve inline from the preventer is (I am guessing) less than 100' from controller. Man, I wish I would have known about this during the install.......

OK, a refill is how many gallon(s)? trying to get an idea of monthly cost

rog

Monday, July 25th 2005, 7:12pm

Ridge, I suppose this isnt a question for you, Our state passed a law this year that all fertilizers are phosphate free. Is this available for the fertigator?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2005, 5:28pm

To answer your first question as to the refill size, The FertiPro units actually don't come with a predetermined fill jug. You simply take the 1/4" line from the injector and stick it into the jug in which your fertilizer comes in. It could be a one gallon jug, or it could be a five gallon jug. As for the FertiFlo units, which do come with a holding tank, The FertiFlo 1 comes with a 1 1/2 gallon jug, which covers 7,500 SQ FT - The FertiFlo 2 comes with a 2 gallon jug and covers 10,000 SQ FT - The FertiFlo 4 comes with a 3 1/2 gallon jug and covers 17,500 SQ FT. (These coverage rates are based on typical water schedules.) As far as I know with the fertilizers, It is very important to use only clean, all soluble liquid fertilizers that don't contain abrasives or solids. What I generally suggest to my clients who wish to use phosphate free fertilizers is a product from Abby Science, which is 10-0-3. You can find it at http://www.abbysciencelabs.com/phosphate_free_fertilizer_10_0_3.htm
It is available in different sizes to suit your application. Hope this helps.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2005, 6:08pm

If you are using a pump, it is possible to employ a suction-side feeder for fertilizing. No controller needed. The same concept is employed for neutralizing iron in well point systems.

Rate this thread