You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mburnickas

Friday, August 12th 2005, 11:48am

Hunter Warranty = no warranty

Well I am just about tired of Hunter and there games on warranty.

I purchased several hundred dollars of items from the sponsor of this site (Sprinkler Warehouse) and now Hunter (nor its distributors) will help me with a WARRENTY issue! This is unreal since it is like a <$1.00 part (wiper seal). The heads are/were made in 2004 as noted on the heads.

I have 1-PGP and 1 I-20 SS and they leak around the riser (wiper seal shot). I called hunter and they stated, yes the head is under warranty but the seals are not.

So now I have 2 rotors that are useless to me and about 6-months old. I will say this, Hunter is not winning points here.

Anyone know where to buy these parts??????
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, August 12th 2005, 12:09pm

You can get these parts at any local irrigation supply. If you have one in your area, John Deere Landscapes is a good place to go, But any Hunter distributor in your area will have them. As for the warranty, that is why I buy my products locally. I am not knocking the online sales at all, it is just much easier to deal with warranty info in person. I simply take the entire head back and get another one, no questions asked.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

mburnickas

Friday, August 12th 2005, 12:28pm

I talked to my local JD landscape and he was cluless on it. Said he can't get the parts.

I would buy locally but the price is way to much.

This is whay I sent hunter and my local JD lanscape people.

Hi Hunter Ind,
I called a disturber in West Springfield as noted on your link below. They stated we can't order the parts, so I need to buy a head; which is 100% incorrect. I then called you people at 760-744-5240 today Friday, 8-12-2005 at 11:06am EST and talked with Tech Service (TS). The person was helpful but in the end, the warranty on the heads means nothing. I have 2 heads that are made in 2004 (as noted on the heads) and they leak and I can't do anything about it. I want these heads fixed since they are under warranty.

The TS person gave me part numbers 253400 for the PGP seal and 252500 for the I-20 seal. Are these correct? I looked online (as I do with everything) and I found that the PGP seal kit as part number 052534. So what is the correct number for this part so I can have someone order them since these heads are all under the 2-year and 5-year warranty?

All I need is a <$1.00 wiper seal kit for each my PGP and my I-20's. Normally the PGP are online for so cheap (below $9.00) I toss them out but now it is a point and my I-20 I want corrected since it was a 5-year warranty.

I install irrigation systems on the side and so far this is not helping Hunter in why I should keep installing them. Maybe Toro, Nelson or Nelson would be better in honoring their customers???

I am very fustrated on why this is so hard to get these simple heads fixed since they are under warranty...Any help here hunter since so far, locally I am getting no where.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 12th 2005, 3:15pm

Hunter may still offer a kit of the PGP cap and wiper seal assembly. As noted, the level of support you want comes from local purchases from a Hunter Distributor. If you chase lower prices online, you have to accept a lower level of support. Personally, I rarely see seal failures on PGPs on clean installations. Dirt in the lines changes everything.

mburnickas

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 3:52am

Yes, I found the seal for the PGP online (less then $1.00 on the site hunter told me about) but not I-20's...Weird since I-20 are better and more $$$.

I talked to the guy in the JD place and he stated the seals do not last but 2 to 3 years around here. Also stated we (them) do not order seals since the installers want to just do the complete rotor and not waste time.

My back yard is all sand and even hunter themselves stated the northeast is bad on seals due to winters; Winters dry the seals out quick. All I have is 2 heads that are messed up. I know my local deal does not want my business even after talking with Hunter 3 times, but it comes down to Hunter making things correct since they state a warranty and need to honor it.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 7:46am

Well, you could always make a consumer affairs sort of issue out of it, but if you're an installer, and you have a head that leaks, you return it to the (authorized) distributor you bought it from. If you didn't buy it from an authorized distributor, then it's too bad for you, bacuse the Hunter warranty only works through their distributors. It may but more to the point in your situation is to use a sprinkler head with a different seal, and to install it at a height that doesn't have the sandy soil wearing away the seal. {And to buy it from local distribution that can honor manufacturers warranties} In sand, I would not favor a Hunter rotor of any type.

mburnickas

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 8:54am

Hunter TS emailed me again and anyone of their distributors, I have contacted one of there authorized dealers/ distributors, and they have to honor the warranty on there (Hunter) heads. I feel this place is giving me the run around. They also stated it does not matter where you purchased it from since they all have their trade warranty on heads. I will just make an issue out of it since so far, their distributor in this case, is well, poor.

I will go down on Monday and speak to the manager or owner. What I do find very odd is that the sponsor on this site (Sprinker Warehouse) is not on their Authorized Hunter Distributor list.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 10:23am

I expect there must be a lot of Hunter product that could be sold by firms that aren't on a authorized distributor list. I rarely find any seal falures in the warranty period, because the turf doesn't build up quickly enough to expose the (installed slightly above grade) top of the head to the soil. It could be claimed, with some justification, that the heads with seals that fail after a year of installation were installed contrary to the instructions, and not entitled to replacement under warranty. If a local distributor wants to blow you off, the terms of the Hunter warranty would appear to allow them to do so. And if you don't buy from them in the first place, they really don't have much motivation to make you happy.

mburnickas

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 11:48am

So if their products are not sold by “authorized distributor list” everyone selling them is selling them “as is”; since they do not honor the manufactures warranty.

I installed all my heads so there are well above the min distance outlined on their instructions). Example, from the top of the ring with threads to the installed surface or grade is like .250 (1/4) as instructed on every Hunter head. This is what you call slightly above grade. I install them about 0.400 high or so more of the head sticks up from the surface of the ground. This, for me, insures that the heads do not carry sand into the seals more. So far with over 35 heads in 120 yards of sand, it is working pretty darn well.

I agree that any dealer does not have to help anyone that does not buy from him; that goes with anything you buy in today’s market. If I had all the heads do this I would say I messed up. But with over 75 heads total and only 2 bad, well that is out. Also with that poor attitude or outlook it is foolish since I do not get that same attitude with motorcycle, LCD projector, cars, tractor, etc. It is a poor attitude and only hurts the manufacture and the dealer.

If a dealer can’t help out with a person with a nickel and dime part, the dealer is a total joke and I do blame Hunter somewhat for not helping since it is their product; and their dealer is not using the terms set forth by Hunter. It is just the point here and I installed extras I have since the local dealer is just looking at it from a $$$$$ standpoint.

To close if seems you are taking the local dealer side which is fine. <b> But when the parent company (Hunter) states, "that the heads are under trade warranty you will need to replace the whole goods and not the parts. The warranty period is based on the date code on the sprinkler. Hunter has a trade warranty of 2 years from the date of manufacture on the PGP model sprinkler and 5 years on the I-20 with the the original installer of the product. All warranty issues are handled through its distributors."</b>

Meanwhile there own disturber will not fix honor their [Hunter] warranty even after Hunter stated they should via an email to me. It looks like greed on this dealer is taking over. I am going to print out the email and go talk to them and then Hunter.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 2:00pm

If you don't want to purchase product through the authorized distribution system, I think you just have to suck it up and replace the heads on your own dime. Or if you want to make a production out of it, remove the seal assembly from a new head to replace the bad one, and save the rotor part for the future, to replace one that has stopped turning.

Your gripe is pretty much falling on deaf ears here, since I have a lot of out-of-warranty stock that I know I can't return to the distributor. And I also have some 'grey-market' stuff I will never return to a distributor under warranty, but I got a good price, so I can swallow the cost of defectives.

In short, if you don't support the distributor system, don't expect it to support you. Fair is fair. And that goes for every manufacturer, and not just Hunter.

Rate this thread