You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

PinkFloyd

Sunday, August 28th 2005, 3:03pm

Old Hardie valve--which Irritrol for internals?

This is my first post, but I've been getting some good info about this problem by doing some searches on these forums. Thanks.

I have an old Hardie valve that needs repair. It won't shut off completely. With it still on the line, I took it apart and found that the insides were looking a bit worn, especially the diaphram. I cleaned it, put it back together, and it still lets a strong trickle through.

I'd rather try to fix it in place. I'll try to attach a picture so that those of you who know a whole lot more about this than I do (that's just about everybody) can let me know which Irritrol valve to order so that I will end up with the right internals for the old Hardie.

Thanks!!

rand651522

Sunday, August 28th 2005, 3:13pm

I would take it to a srinkler supply house like Ewing or something like them and take the diaphram and this picture printed out and you'll be supplied with what you need and I would almost bet that your Valve will be restored to perfect shut-off once again.Also you can repair it in place no need to take the whole thing out.

PinkFloyd

Sunday, August 28th 2005, 7:31pm

<font color="maroon">Well, we don't have any sprinkler supply houses around here that I know of, just Lowe's and Home Depot and they're pretty much useless for something like this.

I'm figuring on having to order it on-line from Spinkler Warehouse, but I first want to be sure that I'm ordering the right thing.</font id="maroon">

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 28th 2005, 10:14pm

That's a Hardie (or Hydro-Rain) HR-1 valve, and is no longer manufactured under any name. Only a professional outlet will have internals, and it might be a special order. Rainbird also sold the valve as the EV-100

PinkFloyd

Monday, August 29th 2005, 3:27am

Thanks Wet_Boots.

Under the circumstances, is the best option an effort to try to get the parts or just go ahead and replace the whole valve?

Where would be a good place to look for the parts?

If I have to replace it, any good hints on techniques to get that old one out and a new one in? I've never had to do that before.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 29th 2005, 5:42am

Get the parts. Google is your friend.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 30th 2005, 4:17am

I have some parts breakout books, and that Hydro-Rain diaphragm assembly is still listed as Irritrol part number R1359

PinkFloyd

Tuesday, August 30th 2005, 7:13pm

RidgeRun05-

I followed Wet_Boots advice and I found that very same site (Kelly's Lawn & Irrigation Supply in Ft. Worth) via a Google search.

I ordered a diaphram plus a selenoid for the Hardie on Monday late afternoon. I had it in hand by lunch the next day (wow, that was fast!).

The new diaphram went in this evening and it did the trick. Didn't need the selenoid, but I'll keep it handy just in case (since I know that at least two of my other 6 valves are the same Hardie model).

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.[:D]

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 31st 2005, 10:13pm

Glad to see that did the trick for ya. It is always a better feeling when you can complete the project yourself and save some money in the process
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

PinkFloyd

Thursday, September 1st 2005, 1:31pm

It ended up saving me quite a bit more than just the cost of having the valve replaced.

One of the local sprinkler guys told me that, if they had to cut the line to replace that valve, the city would now require them to add an anti-backflow device to the main sprinkler line at an additional cost of almost $400.

Muchas gracias to all who helped.[8D]

Rate this thread