You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fcmcommw

Saturday, September 17th 2005, 9:30am

New to SprinklerTalk, looking for info on a system

Hi Everyone,
I'll make this quick and hopefully I will get some responses. I would like to install a new sprinkler system in my front and back yard. I don't know where to start at all. I have been reading lots of posts and trying to learn what to do. I'm a very handy guy and have worked as a contractor on the side for siding, drywall, plumbing, etc. So I'm not completely helpless in that sense. I need help with a design, what system should I look at, how many zones, and where to place the zones. Is there someplace where I can take my plat of survey and someone will design a system for me then I can just order the parts and do it myself. Or is the general population think that I need to just hire someone to do it. Thanks in advance for any help.

tozar

Saturday, September 17th 2005, 5:33pm

You can mail or fax a survey of your property to Rainbird, Hunter, Toro and they will send you back a complete system design. Check their web sites for this. You would need to send in water pressure and gallons per minute figures too.

These are not 100% (i.e. I would not just go out an order the parts list they send back). This would give a decent starting point however and also give you a ball park on how many zones, sprinkler heads, spray nozzles, etc. that will be dealing with.

I had a toro schematic done and would have purchased at home depot but wound up buying professional grade Rainbird parts from sprinklerwarehouse after reading up on the subject. For a $1000.00, I got 6 zones complete, some nice equipment and it was not much more than home depot. The controller was almost 200 and the biggest price tag item.

You would basically need to:

"T" off the main water line after the water meter.
Install a back flow prevention device.
Rent or borrow a trencher.
Run copper main line or sch 40 pvc pipe to valve manifolds.
Group sprinkler heads into logical zones not exceeding GPM calculations and leaving room for future expansion.
Run poly pipe from valves to sprinkler heads.
Program the controller.

Tom

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 5:35am

Good advice Tozar.....

Just remember your system starts with the proper PLAN!

fcmcommw

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 10:56am

Thanks for the info Tozar. This has been a great help. I'm starting my plan today. So after I "T" of the main water line I will have to run copper or 40 pvc to my valve manifolds. Are the valve manifolds what control each zone? I guess what I'm asking is if you have 6 zones then you must have 6 valve manifolds, one for each zone that will be handled by the controller. Is there a junction of some sort to get the water to each manifold. If you have one main line coming out then at some point it must be split to deliver water to each valve. Is there a limitation on the distance of poly pipe between each sprinkler head? Also, where is the backflow prevention device installed? I would assume that its installed somewhere on the main right before the water gets to the valve manifolds? Do you recommend drip heads? I was told if I plan my zones right that the over spray should take care of the landscaping enough and that I shouldn't really waste my time with drip heads since the lanscaping is well established.
Thanks again for everyones help!!
Mark

fcmcommw

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 11:35am

Also, I forgot one thing. Which is the best product to get? Since I'm installing this unit myself I don't mind spending extra on a really quality system.

Thanks again,
Mark

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 12:57pm

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

fcmcommw

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 1:13pm

Thanks for link Wet Boots. I actually read all this recently. I saw one of your other posts and this link was really helpfull. I went downstairs and measured the pipe feeding the house and it measured at a one inch pipe. I also looked at the water meter to see what it said and it read 5/8, 3/4. Does this mean the water meter can accomodate both. I know that it is not uncommon(according to irrigationtutorials) for the meter to be one size smaller then the pipe so is it safe to say that my meter is 3/4" and the pipe(which I measured is 1") this would give me a flow of 17GPM. I have to be sure on this calc.
Thanks,
Mark

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 2:14pm

Since you were unclear on that a valve manifold is, I figured you have some more reading to do. You need to get a pressure gauge, and actually run some water and measure the flow and pressure. Don't read tables for this. Measure it and be certain.

fcmcommw

Monday, September 19th 2005, 12:15pm

Thanks Wet Boots for the info. I have now read to I'm blue in the face. www.irrigationtutorials.com is a really good site. I'm going out and getting a pressure gauge to take the correct readings. Jess from irrigationtutorials doesn't recommend the bucket method that is why I used his chart for figuring out the flow only. I will also use the bucket method but since their is no resistance when filling up the bucket how do I equate for the correct flow. His site says just to use his chart along as I have the correct size measurements or the meter and the main. From all my reading this the absolute most important part of the project. The reason why most systems do not work is do to inaccurate readings from the beginning of the project.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 19th 2005, 4:11pm

You don't need a bucket when you have a water meter to read.

Rate this thread