You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

chrkov

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 10:17am

Polypipe vs. PVC

Ok.. here is my question, I do live in a freezing area (around Chicago), so I was leaning toward using polypipe, but then I also read somewhere (I think it was the Rainbird installation stuff) that the polypipe will have about 2-3 GPM less in flow for 1" then the 1" pvc. can anyone confirm this? My house has about 70 PSI and the flow I tried doing the 5 gal bucket test came out to be a little under 30 GPM. Will using poly really hurt me at all?

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 2:28am

Use poly in freezing climates, and you won't suffer pipe breakage from soil shifting during winter freezes.

Tom

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 6:39am

what size servive line and water meter do you have?

if you truly have 30 gpm you'll need to upsize to 1.5" pipe

chrkov

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 6:50am

1 inch feed and meter. I was really surprised the get that type of GPM.

Tom

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 29th 2005, 5:51pm

I'd go with 18 gpm for your design

Jazzer K

Saturday, December 31st 2005, 10:19am

poly is better- easier to work with and doesnt crack- I install some systems with all poly- just because it is easier to handle. Poly flows the same as pvc because the inside diameters compare the same.
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

lush96

Advanced Member

Wednesday, March 15th 2006, 8:20pm

poly can crack due to freeze but is less likely to due to the fact that it is "softer" than PVC and can expand. poly is also 1000 times easier to work with than pvc since no glue is involved and it is flexible. jazzer is right by saying that there is no difference in flow. go with poly all the way unless your local code prohibits it.

Rate this thread