You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GCRoberts

Sunday, May 16th 2004, 6:53am

RainBird 42SA and 32SA rotors

I've been looking at the new RainBird 42SA rotor. The RainBird website has limited info on this rotor. In the "features and benefits" section they state the following (partial list):
a)Distance: 26 to 38ft
b)Easy arc adj from the top using flat head screwdriver
c)Pre-installed 3.0 Rain Curtain nozzle
d)Reversing full and part circle rotation from 40 to 360 deg
e)Radius adj screw allows up to 25% radius reduction without changing nozzles
etc....
The "one page" instruction sheet PDF file only gives performance for the pre-installed 3.0 nozzle and they don't state what the arc is. I'm guessing they are assuming 360deg.
I'm also a little concerned that I can't find this rotor on www.sprinklerwarehouse.com. This is where I plan on buying the majority of the parts for my upcoming project.
So here are my questions:
1) Is this a good replacement for the 5000+?
2) Is this rotor "too new"? Should I use something that's more "time-tested"?
3) I'm assuming I can buy different nozzles...are they identical to the ones you'd buy for all the other RainBird rotors?
4) Has anyone seen more detailed info on this rotor? Specifically, charts that show gallonage with different nozzles at different pressures?

Any info anyone can supply on this rotor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 9th 2004, 2:42pm

What you have on your hands there is a rotor that I believe is for sale at home stores??? I also think that that model is the 5000 rotor, just a different number.

GCRoberts

Sunday, June 13th 2004, 7:39am

No, I don't believe so. I'm getting this directly from the Rainbird website. The Rainbird site doesn't talk about the 5000 rotor at all (with the exception of replacement parts available for it). If you go to the following link and look at their rotors (Specifically closed-case rotors)...you'll find their current line-up. It looks to me like the 32SA /42SA is a replacement for the 5000 series, not another name for it.

http://rainbird.com/diy/products/rotors/index.htm

Closed-Case Rotors:
T-Bird Series:
T-Bird - FC
T-Bird - PC
TBS-1

TDR-2/R50

32SA

42SA

SamIV

Sunday, June 13th 2004, 4:33pm

GC, you need to go to the RainBird home page and click on Contractor Installed and you will find the 5000 and the 5000 plus. You are looking at a retail product. Might very well be the same as the 5000 as RVLI has suggested.

SamIv

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, June 14th 2004, 7:28pm

Yeah, it's the homeowners grade 5000 rotor. The 32SA is the homeowners grade 3500 model.

GCRoberts

Tuesday, June 15th 2004, 6:12pm

OK, now it makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Monday, June 6th 2005, 6:30am

I have been told that there is more differences b/w the 5000 and 43sa/32sa.

the 42sa & 32sa don't have all of the same features as the 5000. I still use the 42's and 32's becase of it's ease of use. any comments? Let me know
james
Life's too Short to hide inside... Get out there and play a little!

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 7th 2005, 7:13am

Personally, I wouldn't use any of the "Home Improvement" store grade irrigation parts, but that is just me. The professional grade parts, such as the 5000 series rotor, for example, are built a lot tougher and often have better warranties than the homeowner grade parts. To me, it just looks kind of cheap when a professional contractor is installing junk from a home improvement store.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Tuesday, August 23rd 2005, 6:36pm

just installed 20+ 42SAs in my yard, BIG dissapointment, no where near as nice as my neighbors 5000+ series:irregular spray leaking wiper seals, and after numerous hours of looking for replacement nozzles I finaly just cut the tabs off of some new 5000 series nozzles,I wouldn't recomend them.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 23rd 2005, 8:34pm

Exactly my point as stated above.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread