You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dpsoup

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 3:09pm

Supply pipe

I am feeding two valves around my backyard. I live in a climate that has freezing temps all winter. Should I use poly pipe to feed these valves or use PVC? I heard that PVC will crack if the ground is heaved by frost even if the pipe has no water in it. How should I feed the valves? (100 ft away)

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 3:24pm

160 psi poly pipe is available for mainline situations but stubborn to work with and I've found that weak joint to be the connections at the fittings when used for a mainline

In Colorado, sch40 pvc is used in that situation. One must drain it properly thou, i.e. "blow-outs"

I'm sure commercial establishments in your area have plenty of pvc in the ground, so it will work just fine if taken care of.

dpsoup

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 3:32pm

Let me elaborate. I am in CT. So your saying if I go with PVC as a mainline to the valves (100 ft. away) buried 18", I will be okay provided the system is "blown out" in the Winter

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 4:19pm

you'd be fine, i wouldn't even bury it that deep. you'd be fine with 12"

you can also drain it on both ends without blowing it out in the winter.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 9:16pm

I would use NSF-rated poly pipe. Depending on your water pressure, you could use 125 psi or 160 psi, and pull the pipe like for a sprinkler system. The heavier the pipe wall, the more difficult it is to clamp. The "Loxon" strap clamps made by Ideal are strong enough for this. There are also brass compression fittings for poly pipe, made for the waterworks market. They are as reliable as they are expensive.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 1:31am

Where in CO are you Tom?

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Tom

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 4:02am

Tony, i'm in the springs. i'm also "ground master" over at lawnsite

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 27th 2006, 1:45am

Gotcha.....I knew you sounded familiar......
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

hoback

Starting Member

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 11:05am

I have a 150 gpm filter and a 10hp pump. I run a 4 inch main line. What is the biggest pipe size I can use with the Maxi Paws that shoot 40 feet? I am thinking of using 2 1/2 inch.
Hoback

Rate this thread