You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 25th 2006, 1:37pm

Relief spews water when inlet is openned

I just installed a new Watts series 009 RPZ and have tried to make it work. I have closed the outbound water valve and slowly openned the inbound valve as the instructions state. At first water came from everwhere. After tightening everything down, the water now only comes out of the relief valve. But I don't have any idea what else to try. Do I need to have x amount of preasure for the unit to begin to operate correctly? I have tried opening the inbound valve with the outlet open and with the outlet closed. In all instances water keeps coming out the relief valve.

Thank you for any help or advise you provide.

rick

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 25th 2006, 4:35pm

Take it apart and clean out any debris. Water will always escape from the relief valve when the water is first turned on.

Wednesday, July 26th 2006, 4:38am

Thank you for the information. How long should the water escape from the relief valve before I know I have to take it apart and clean out debris? (This is a brand new unit,right out of the box.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 26th 2006, 8:12am

I have the smae valve, and I dont get much water coming out of the relief valve when pressurizing the unit. The amount of water coming out doesnt even amount to a stream of water. If you constantly have water coming out I would take it apart & check for debris.

Wednesday, July 26th 2006, 6:52pm

I decided that there was something wrong with the device since it continued to gush out the relief valve anytime water was turned on
- no slow trickle - since it was brand new I returned it and got a replacement, installed the new one and it seems to work fine. Thanks for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 27th 2006, 12:48am

Because these are individually tested before they are sold, the overwhelming likelihood is installer error, and debris gumming up the works. One particle of the right size will block an internal passageway and the relief valve will then stick open.

Rate this thread