You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fireman

Friday, September 15th 2006, 3:14pm

RAIN BIRD esp4

Every time it rains the sprinklers come on even if it's in the off position, the only way to shut them down is to unplug it from the 110v outlet.
this happens ever since i have had this unit, i have called the installers at least 20 times and they never return phone calls.
What can i do to correct this problem?

mrfixit

Friday, September 15th 2006, 3:56pm

At first I thought maybe you had an indoor timer installed outdoors. But I think the esp4 is outdoor. When you unplug your timer from the wall are you unplugging a transformer or a regular electrical plug? Maybe the seal on the door is allowing water to get inside.

Well here I am at 2:30 AM not being able to sleep because of this problem and revising my reply again. Do you have a rain sensor installed on this timer? I'm thinking maybe you have a rain sensor that's been incorrectly installed. Are there any other letters after esp4? If you have a rain sensor installed. Click on this link. It might help:
http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/man_RSD.pdf

Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

fireman

Sunday, September 17th 2006, 3:31am

my mistake it's a esp-6 rain bird timer, and it's pluged into a regular plug .
i would like to get this thing fixed it has never been right since it was installed.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 17th 2006, 4:35am

Is the timer installed indoors? Or outside, where it could get rained on. What about the rain detector?

fireman

Monday, September 18th 2006, 6:32am

The timer is installed outside of the house,and the rain sensor is installed at the side of the house away from the gutters

mrfixit

Monday, September 18th 2006, 9:18am

I'd disconnect the rain sensor. It shouldn't be hard to figure out which wires they are. If you have the booklet that came with the sensor then it would tell you where the wires go. Or if you have the name and model of your sensor a manual could probably be found on the net. Maybe one of us will have it. The system will still work without the sensor if you want to leave it unhooked from the timer. You can always just turn the timer off by hand. Good luck!

fireman

Monday, September 18th 2006, 11:03am

When I turn the timmer in the off position it still comes on in the rain, if you have a manual that i could have i would appericate it the contractor left no manuals on the timmer or the sensor

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 18th 2006, 4:35pm

http://www.rainbird.com

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 19th 2006, 9:59am

Hi Fireman. I have an idea for you to determine if it's the rain sensor. 1)<< I'd spray it with the hose simulating rain and see if the sprinklers come on. If they do then you know where the problem is. Give it a chance to do it's job, it needs a certain amount of water before it activates. I'm thinking they will. I've been running senarios in my mind of how it's miswired. 2)<< See if the sensor wire is connected to the C terminal. It should be the third one down. The panel swings opens like a door. Lightly pry it open with something like a screwdriver.

Rate this thread