You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jrm

Sunday, October 1st 2006, 4:53am

GFCI occasionally tripping

I have 5 zones including a low-volume drip zone. The controller (Rainbird ESP) is plugged into a GFCI-protected outlet in the garage. From time to time, the GFCI trips after the drip zone has been active for about 25-30 minutes according to the time remaining on the controller. One time the controller itself detected a fault and displayed a generic error message for that zone but the GFCI did not trip.

I've checked the wiring connections for that zone and didn't see anything dodgy. I even redid the connections and used silicone weather seal the last time around so I'm pretty sure they're watertight.

Would the 25-30 minute delay be indicative of a different problem? Would a solenoid coil failure cause a GFCI to trip? These are Rainbird valves (no idea what model) but I don't see an obvious way to replace the solenoid unless it unscrews somehow. The installer didn't leave much room in the valve box so I can't unscrew the valve to replace it...I'd have to cut the PVC and glue in a new one (maybe this is standard practice?). So I haven't yet tried replacing the entire valve.

Like I said, this is a drip zone so the water volume is a little less than my other zones. I'd guess somewhere between 3 and 4gpm total, maybe a little less. Could this be causing problems?

I'm scratching my head...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 1st 2006, 6:30am

The solenoids unscrew. If you got an error message, the solenoid might be faulty.

Rate this thread