You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ponders

Saturday, April 21st 2007, 2:47pm

Recommended controller for home drip system

I finally added an inexpensive controller to a drip system I've been piecing together as we've added shrubs and trees over the past few years. However, it's maximum run time per station is only four hours. I'd prefer to run each station longer. While I was running the stations manually it wasn't uncommon for me to let them run 24 or even more hours.

My question is: are there controllers that are designed for this kind of running time, and if so what's the best way to find and compare?

Thanks,

+ Ponders:

h2pro

Sunday, April 22nd 2007, 8:34am

3 program timer with up to 4 start times per day will accomodate this. rainbird esp modular,hunter exc. this can be achieved by assigning 3 start times on that specific zone under all 3 programs (a,b,c)

ponders

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 3:47pm

How would I make that work if I have three zones (valves)?

Thanks,

+ Ponders:

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 5:16pm

why do you need to run it for 24 hours?

ponders

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 6:08pm

You ask a good question. It starts from always having been taught to water long/deep vs. frequently/shallow. Growing up we had water turns every 8 days or so that lasted something like 14 hours. So everything got watered on that schedule, and I guess I'm taking the same principles even further.

Since you asked the question I've done a little research and it looks like I should be determining how long the water really needs to be on so that I'm watering enough, but not over-watering. This document: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1298.pdf suggests using a "soil probe" to see how deep the water is getting for a given watering. It also suggests that I might want to have more drippers per plant than I currently have.

So I guess this all means that I need to do some homework before I can really say how long I need to run each zone.

Thanks for prodding me in the right direction,

+ Ponders:

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 4:34am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by h2pro</i>
<br />3 program timer with up to 4 start times per day will accomodate this. rainbird esp modular,hunter exc. this can be achieved by assigning 3 start times on that specific zone under all 3 programs (a,b,c)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I was thinking something along these lines as well.

I've got a cheap controller (least expensive thing I could find at Lowes to use as a temporary controller... but as time goes buy, temporary seems to becoming a little more permanent). Anyway, even this cheap controller has a feature to run zones multiple times in a day.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 3:30am

Best drip controller ever was manufactured by Batrow...

One station with pins..mechanical timer with a motor that never seemed to want to die....

14 day wheel......pins mean no water
Timing wheel....each pin equaled 15 minutes of water

I bet they still make it......if you are in Arizona it should be easy to find ....or check right here at Sprinkler Warehouse....

Good luck
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

cimikowski

Monday, September 10th 2007, 5:44am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SprinklerGuy</i>
<br />Best drip controller ever was manufactured by Batrow...

One station with pins..mechanical timer with a motor that never seemed to want to die....

14 day wheel......pins mean no water
Timing wheel....each pin equaled 15 minutes of water

I bet they still make it......if you are in Arizona it should be easy to find ....or check right here at Sprinkler Warehouse....

Good luck
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:19am

Just remember drip uses water at 1 gal per hour not 1 gal per min. If you want a good controller I use the Hunter Pro-C it has a lot of functions. You can get one at www.sprinklerwarehouse.com
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Rate this thread