You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

deyre

Friday, September 1st 2006, 9:08am

Master valve recommendation

Hi. I'm finally getting around to following up on previous recommendations of adding a master valve. I will be installing right after the backflow preventer. Its a 1.5inch line, pressure is 125psi, flow is up to 30gpm. I have an leaning towards a brass valve due to the high pressure and a desire for it to last as long as possible, though I could be convinced otherwise. Built in pressure regulation is probably a good idea so I can control the downstream pressure. The arrangement of the existing pipes would work best with either a 90degree valve or a straight valve that can be mounted vertically. Suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 1st 2006, 11:54am

Everyone has a favorite valve, and sometimes it's local availability and long-term repairability that matters most. A brass valve for which you can't easily get parts is not worthwhile. An Irritrol 216 has both globe and angle connections, and can be retrofitted with a pressure regulator.

lush96

Advanced Member

Monday, September 4th 2006, 8:53pm

if the valve is going to be indoors, please dont use plastic as it is more likely to burst than a brass valve. ive seen it many times. big problems. if your 1 1/2 line is poly and indoors, also change it to copper. pressurized plastic in the house is a sprinkler no no. at the very least install the master valve outdoors in a proper valve box. that is why they make outdoor valve boxes and not indoor ones. cause they should be outdoors.

deyre

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 10:04pm

Wet Boots: Thanks for input. The Irritrol looks ok, but the 150psi rating isnt much above my static pressure. I worry. I take your point about parts - are there any I should avoid because of this?

Lush96: This is not for indoors. The only water line going into the house is _for_ the house, regulated at 60psi, and in nice copper piping which is probably rotting away in the concrete slab. Thanks for reminding me, I'll be losing sleep again:) I plan to put the master valve right after the backflow preventer, which is above ground outside. After having numerous failures of inground PVC lines, due to (1) joints unjoining - possibly poor quality work by original installer, (2) fittings cracking due to major displacement of lines by roots over 20 years (3) high pressure,
in addition to a couple of (plastic) valves detonating and a couple of good quality new valves leaking from the body, I am somewhat paranoid. The master valve will limit the scope of failures and give some control of downstream pressure. What I don't want is for the master valve to fail :)

I guess I still have an irrational leaning towards brass. How about the Rainbird GB series? Any issues with these apart from the cost? I think they are rated at 200psi vs the 150psi on the Irritrol plastic valve.

(btw if you think the list of problems above indicate I should completely replace the system, you're probably right. But it isnt going to happen any time soon).

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 6th 2006, 4:13am

Rinbird's GB brass valve is an old design, which I've used once or twice before. (but not with the pressure regulation) For 30 gpm or less, you can use a smaller size than inch-and-a-half
http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/valves/gb_series.htm

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, April 29th 2007, 6:09pm

never put an electric valve inside your home unless it is brass or copper. trust me. 16 years of seeing the nightmares tell me so.

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, April 29th 2007, 6:11pm

what the **** is your backflow device doing outdoors. man that is a hack job

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, April 29th 2007, 6:13pm

and your house pressure is 60 but this line is 125. its a miricale. lay off the pot

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, April 30th 2007, 6:50pm

Lush- you install backflows indoors? I'd like to see that at a full dump!

lush96

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 7:46pm

backflows go indoors where i am from tom. full dump????? i think you are referring to a reduced pressure zone valve. im in long island and a regular DCV (double check valve) is installed indoors to prevent the possibility of freezing. i know your going to say that you can disassemble them or bleed them in the winter but we put backflow valves inside here. you know something......whenever we see a system where the DCV is outside, and a plastic master valve is inside attached to poly.........we laugh hard!!!! then we change it and reverse it. master valve outside.......DCV inside........the way its supposed to be if done professionally. but thats why we have been in business 35 years tom. we dont do hack jobs.

Rate this thread