You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 2:59am

sprinkler calculations

i have a large lawn area with 16 Hunter PGJ heads turning from 1/4 to full circle. present installation has 1 inch irrigation tubing with "saddle clamps" and 1/2 inch openings to short sections of rubber tubing supplying the Hunter rotors. i need to rebuild the system to increase the water to the sprinkler heads. i want to do this by removing all the 1/2 inch saddle clamps and using 1 inch "T" fittings with the sprinkler heads on stem of the T. Source of my water is a deep well pump supplying 70 gallons per minute at 60 pounds per square inch. how do i determine whether the existing 1 inch supply line will give me enough water to run all 16 heads? A second question is how do relate the Hunter Nozzle Performance data to the little numbers on the nozzles. i have a number 9 on the nozzle. how do that relate to the o.75, 1.0, etc on the chart?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 6:02am

They don't relate...read the chart across...the #9 puts out 5.2 gallons at 50psi

In my opinion you would be better off splitting into separate zones if you can....16 heads even with number 1 nozzles will be pushing it..saddles or no saddles...1 inch poly is going to struggle. The water source is important, but you are limited by the 1 inch poly....

What are the spacings? How far apart are the heads?

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Sunday, July 15th 2007, 10:41am

to sprinkler guy.. thank you very much i will measure and respond to your question on spacing

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 5:58am

70 gpm! are you sure? IS this a well used for farming? one inch poly should not get more than 18 gpm. It has to do with velocity. So If your numbers are correct I would change your main lines to 1.5 inch and laterals should be 1 inch.
Thanks,

Pete

Friday, July 20th 2007, 1:37pm

well is one of two high volume wells certified for public water use in a recreational park. the 16 heads are patterned about 18 feet apart over the area. this is one zone of 6 zones.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 3:33am

Have we answered your questions?
Thanks,

Pete

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 5:57am

yes thank you for this very helpful forum. do not leave town. i am sure another problem is coming soon. sigh..

Rate this thread