You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

forresal

Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 3:42pm

Old Toro EL6 - not sure of problem

First post here, but have been reading quite a bit. Hope someone here can help! Let me preface my post by saying that I have no clue about this sort of stuff. I have live in apartments in NYC and Boston for the bulk of my life!!!

Bought a house with the sprinkler system controlled by Toro EL 6+.
First thing I notice is that some of the sprinkler heads have been overcome by the lawn. I'm guessing that in addition to the age of the system (though some heads seem of recent vintage), the system has not been used in quite awhile.

The control box shows that it is on and that the system is watering. The water line is on. However, none of the heads pop up nor is there any pooling of water near the heads.

I have noticed that off to the side of the yard (and possibly in line from the water line from the house to one of the heads) is a green topped box marked "control valve." However I cannot open it (there is a square hole in the top with some sort of locking mechanism) and there is no markings to indicate that its for a sprinkler or Toro system.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks!
[:D]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 1st 2007, 1:10am

A large screwdriver can unhook the inside latch of the green cover. Then you can try to manually open a control valve. Take a photo if you have questions about what's what.

Also, look for some above-ground plumbing, which may have shutoff valves that could be preventing the watering.

forresal

Wednesday, August 1st 2007, 1:19am

Thanks Wet!

I'll give it a try and post an update...

Edit: Tried a screwdriver...no good at opening. A neighbor told me to get a "valve key" at home depot....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 1st 2007, 3:10pm

Big screwdriver - push down, then over. Takes two hands, sometimes.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 2nd 2007, 12:43am

Or stick the screwdrvier between the green lid and the blac box..very skinny area and pry up...over and over and over...when you get the lid off..turn it over and step on the white locks really hard to break them off...I hate those things.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread