You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

thomask

Wednesday, August 8th 2007, 1:19pm

I-20's Won't Pop Up!

A few I-20's in each zone fail to pop up this season. I've had the system for 4 years now and a few zones did it last year and now every zone (7) have one or two that won't pop up. Nothing has changed. I literally have to go around and pull up on them to get them up and going. This makes 3am waterings a little difficult and I have dry patches to show for this shortcoming. Do I-20's go bad? Do these need replaced? Any help you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 3:29am

My guess is that sand may be getting into the wiper seal. Try this. dig around a head about half way down and unscrew the riser from the body. youll now see the spring etc... thats inside of your head. run the head under some water while pushing the head up and down to clear the sand from the seal. Next put the head back together and run that zone to see if your head works. if so then Ill bet this is happening on the other heads too. your heads may be set too deep and sand is clogging the seal.

One other question is how is the water pressure? probably not the problem here but worth asking.
Thanks,

Pete

thomask

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 10:28am

Thanks for your help. I will try that. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the anatomy of the sprinkler head. Am I taking the "guts" of the sprinkler out? Do I need to worry about any springs popping out or anything? You are right, some of the heads have sunk down a tad below ground level so hopefully this will work. The water pressure is fine, no changes. Worst case scenario would buying new ones help? Can I just purchase the "guts"?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 14th 2007, 8:41am

Its very easy youll see. I t wil all stay together the springs wont pop out.
Thanks,

Pete

gregory1420

Advanced Member

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 2:02pm

i found some of my I20'S were set to tall and i ran them over with the mower and they got stuck so i just lowered them..and that took care of the problem..but in your case i am sure its soemthing like drpete said maybe sand in the wiper seal...

aquatechirrigation

Sunday, September 16th 2007, 6:48am

The I-20's have a stiffer spring than the regular PGP's. I have come across this problem a lot especially on well systems. If even a little sand gets in the I-20 will not pop. Switch your heads to PGP's and you should be fine.

Rate this thread