You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ccimino

Starting Member

Sunday, March 27th 2005, 7:53am

RPZ doesn't seal - new installation

Just installed and RPZ this weekend. I flushed the lines upstream and then installed the RPZ unit. With the second ball valve closed, I opened the first valve and opened test cock #3 to bleed air from the system. I then closed test cock #3. Water still spewed (rather gushed) from the bottom. Any ideas as to why it won't close?

Thanks
Chris

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, March 27th 2005, 3:44pm

You might supply the make and model and size of the RPZ device that's acting up. Some RPZ's might act flukey before you actually are running them at normal operating flows. The likeliest suspect here is a blockage of the water passage to the relief valve diaphragm. When that's blocked, the relief valve will open wide, and a gusher will result. By the way, it wouldn't hurt to bleed out the air from every one of the downstream test valves.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 10th 2005, 11:07am

Open it up and make sure the diaphragm isn't clogged with something that got into it during installation. All backflow devices usually gush when they are first turned on, but shouldn't gush for long.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread