You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

spair2

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:51am

For all who see this page, the original post was in 2004. Today there is a very cheap way to make this bore. please see www.originalbonehead.com It's like a having a boring machine in your tool box.

Monday, July 16th 2007, 11:45pm

I just made it under my 12 foot driveway. It was a tough job, but only took 6 hours.

There was no way that you could beat anything under the concrete because of the large aggregate.

I used a 0 degree tip on my 4000 psi pressure washer. This would allow me to go a few feet, after which I would have to connect a 1.5 inch pipe to my shop vac to suck out the rocks.

Unless you were to use a diamond drill bit, there is no way any other option would have succeeded in my opinion.

edwildesr

Thursday, September 13th 2007, 1:55pm

The Borit tool really saved me! Quotes from sprinkler companies (if they ever showed up..) were about $1,000 for a 14 ft driveway, no obstructions. For that price I could cut and cover and repave the whole driveway. I bought a Borit from the manufacturer on their Ebay site. Using the trench previously made by my ditch witch rental, we lined up the Borit, combined a 10 and 4 ft section of 3/4 inch pipe, and a 3/4" right angle drill from Home Depot rentals and in about 20 minutes we reached the other side. At first we hit a gravel lense in the subbase so I lifted the pipe a bit and dove under the gravel coming out through stiff clay about a foot lower on the other side which for the sleeve insertion didn't affect anything. Used a 3" inch Borit bit which allowed for a 2" sch 40 PVC sleeve. This sleeve had room for a 1 1/4" supply line and controller cable to be run under the drive.

The Borit didn't fit the 1/2" industrial B&D drill I first rented, and that drill was too wide for the 4" trench. The 3/4" right angle drill had more torque and the right angle feature kept the motor above the ditch and water backflow. We dug a short and deep side trench hole at the bore site to capture the water backflow and it helps to have someone bailing that hole with a half gallon milk jug while drilling is underway. It took about 20 minutes! The Borit is well worth the investment even for a one time use!

Now that my system is running several neighbors are planning theirs and I am sure I can sell the Borit to one of them.

jimmyburg

Advanced Member

Monday, September 17th 2007, 4:58am

Just take a 1 inch pipe put a 1 inch cap on it and take a sledge hammer and wack a way, here in texas we have clay and thats what we do.
Jimmy
Texas Lic. Irrigator
Landscape Irrigation Auditing & Management
Texas Lic. Backflow Tester

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 2:05pm

More info on Borit, Borzit

For more info on using Boriit or Borzit, search for thereads using Borit in the subject line.

Jeff

Rate this thread