You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bnorth

Starting Member

Thursday, August 26th 2004, 7:19pm

PVB vs double check

I've searched through the forum posts and have narrowed down my backflow preventer preference to either the double check or PBV. I live in WY, so winter is pretty harsh. My home has a crawl space with 1" copper tubing extending from the house main line(city water)and a shut off valve (all located in the crawl space). The copper tubing ends 3 feet before the foundation footing. The original designer of the home planned on extending this to the outside as his sprinkler main line. My question is would it be better to install a double check in the crawl space, or PVB outside, or some other design all together? Thanks for your recommendations.
Brad

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 29th 2004, 5:33pm

The first thing to do (if you have not already) is to check with local governments and find out what local codes require. Every area is different and it ranges from "any backflow preventer" to "Part Number 1234 made by XYZ company".

Other wise, the layout of your system might dictate which is needed. If you have any land that is up hill from were you plan on putting the BF, then PVB can't be used because it must be higher than the highest sprinkler head. If either one is still fine, than the PVB is cheaper. The other thing I can think to try to consider is winterizing. A double check can be burried or installed in a basement such that it's protected from the cold, but a PVB can't be enclosed.

Rate this thread