You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 3:27pm

PGP vs PGJ

I am in the process of putting together a sprinkler system, and was initially working around using PGJ rotors. After looking at performance between these 2 products, I have noticed a big difference between PGP & PGJ rotors.

I am working with a 10GPM in my system, and with the PGJ rotors I am limited to being able to run 4 rotors within a zone based on flow for my 30 PSI pressure & 27-30 ft radius. I have 2 areas which require 5 heads to properly cover the area. Based on PGJ performance this will require breaking each on of these areas into 2 zones to stay within my 10GPM, as 5 heads at 30PSI & 27' radius would be 11GPM.

After looking at the PGP rotors, and basing it upon the same distances & pressures the flow is a lot less compared to the PGJ rotors. With the PGP rotors with the standard RED nozzle I can work off 30PSI & 27' radius with a 0.5 GPM.

The biggest thing I notice is the precipitation rate per HR is a lot less with the PGP rotors .12 in/hr compared to PGJ .57 in/hr. Am I missing something other than it would require a longer run time with the PGP rotors to get the same coverage?

I realize if you use the Gray nozzles with the PGP rotors, it puts them in the same ballpark as the PGJ rotors as far as GPM, which would force me back into breaking these 5 rotors into 2 zones.

What should I do? Should I use the PGP rotors with the red nozzles, which will allow me to leave these 2 areas as 1 zone, or would I be better with higher GPM coverage with the PGJ rotors or PGP rotors with Gray nozzles, and break these areas into 2 zones?

Tom

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 25th 2006, 4:21pm

I think if you stretched your gpm to 11 you would be fine.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 1:30am

I would use the PGP's at that distance....you will be happier in the long run..I think.

I personally think the small area rotors should be "confined", pardon the pun, to small areas. Use the PGP's and bump the nozzle size up as necessary to get your Precip rate up a bit if you need to.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

DOORZ

Advanced Member

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 4:31am

Am I completely missing something here? With the PGP's the red nozzles are standard, and based on the chart the GPM & flows are much lower than PGJ rotors or the PGP with the Gray low angle nozzle.

Why would these be designed this way, I assume the PGP's with the red nozzles are used alot and in looking at the chart you could reduce the number of zones considerably.

peetey37

Wednesday, April 26th 2006, 6:44am

The PGP-ATR (4" versions), do they work as well as the regular version

Rate this thread