You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

texian00

Thursday, March 3rd 2005, 9:23am

Head to Head Spacing

I am a newbie. I am trying to design a sprinkler system for my rather large yard. (several acres) Around my house and curved sidewalks I am planning on installing pop-up spray heads (Rainbird 1804). Once I get into the large open areas I am thinking about using impact rotors such as RB AG-5. I know about head to head spacing and I know not to mix the two different type sprinklers on the same zone. What I need to know is when I transition from the 15' spray heads to the 37' impacts what type of spacing should I use?
Thanks for any and all help.

texian00

Tuesday, March 22nd 2005, 4:16pm

Is this such a dumb question as not to deserve an answer?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 22nd 2005, 4:31pm

What type of water supply do you have? City water? How much water at what pressure? A lot of recommendations you might see will suggest head-to-head spacing, and that may seem excessive, but there is a point. Some curbs and driveways are Belgian block edged, and there is enough of a space between a sprinkler head and the stone, that it is the next head over that covers that space. And if you use a sloppy design, and try to run too many heads at one time, you'll be glad you used conservative spacing. The fact that you quote a spray distance of 37 feet (just try and get that in the daytime while the wind is blowing against you - think sod) for your sprinkler head choice suggests that some conservative thinking is in order.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 23rd 2005, 7:51am

The simple answer is since you shouldn't mix two different type sprinklers on the same zone, then I guess you also shouldn't overlap zones between different sprinkler heads.

Of course that's a simplistic answer that really only fits if the area you are trying to water is a simple shape. I had previously noticed the question but didn't answer it when I saw it because I felt this answer was overly simplistic. But without a scaled schematic of the area, I can't begin to suggest anything better.

When the "How-To" books show both rotors and spray heads used in the same yard, they always construct the samples such that the two different zones don't attempt to overlap.

texian00

Thursday, March 24th 2005, 10:32am

I'm doing my layout with Autocad and I really do not know how to post the drawing on this website.
I have a water well and my design pressure is 47 pounds at 13 gpm.
Once I leave the immediate area around my house (where I want to use the RB 1800's) the area is just a big open yard (where I was planning on using the RB AG-5). Should I put my first RB AG-5 only 15 feet away from the last RB 1800? Surely you wouldn't want to use the RB 1800's over the entire area (about an acre).
Thanks for the reply!!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 24th 2005, 11:33am

Again, don't overlap the zones. At the point of transition, you have a set of RB1800s that spray back towards the house (so that you get two RB1800's overlapping each other like you're supposed to). You also place a set of AG-5 at the transition point, but they don't spray toward the house.

texian00

Thursday, March 24th 2005, 3:32pm

Thanks, that makes sense.

Rate this thread