You are not logged in.

sjag18

Wednesday, March 9th 2005, 3:57am

Lateral Line Drains

I'm getting ready to install a residential system next month. I live in Oklahoma and it does not freeze too hard here. I had planned on using drains (Blazing Products drains from Sprinkler Warehouse) in the lateral lines, but have gotten mixed opinions about this. Some local irrigation supply stores and contractors say to install the mainline 18" and the laterals at 12" and they will be fine (frostline is 18"). Others have told me to install the lateral lines at 12" and still use drains. I have read (Jeff Stryker's websight) that the drains waist water and are hard on the system. Is that true? Do I need to use them? For winterizing my system, should I place a tee near my backflow to blow out the system, or would the drains clear the lines well enough?

Also, I tried to layout my system where no lateral lines will cross each other. If I had to cross lateral lines how would I do that? Would I make one deaper than the other so they don't touch where they cross.

One other question. I was told by Rainbird to not use teflon tape anywhere in the system. I'm using the manifolds with buttress threads and they said they self seal, and teflon tape is not necessary. They further said teflon tape is not recommended on the lateral line side of valves. Hunter told me to use teflon tape everywhere except on the sprinkler head risers. Which one is true?

Thanks in advance for the help. I think this is a great sight and I have gotten some confidence about installing my system from reading this sight.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 12th 2005, 12:02pm

As to your first question, I would say install a tee and use a compressor to blow the lines out at the end of the season. If you use drains, and you are on a municipal water system, it is just wasting water, and causing stress on your pipes by re-filling them every time the system turns on. We have serviced systems that are older where the drains are actually worthless now because they have either become clogged, or the pipe has shifted enough in the ground over the years that is no longer slopes properly toward the drains. For the investmest I would say use compressed air to winterize the system annually. As for your second question about the lines crossing each other, just run one of the lines just above the one its crossing, it won't hurt anything to have the lines touch or have one a little higher than the other. And as for teflon tape, I would go by the manufacturers recommendations. If Rain-Bird recommends not using teflon tape, then don't use it. We only install Hunter products on our irrigation installs, and we use teflon tape all of the time. I have never had a problem with it. Any other questions, just let me know.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

sjag18

Saturday, March 12th 2005, 3:49pm

Thanks a lot for the information. I am using mostly Hunter equipment (I-20's, pro-sprays and SRV valves) and the manifold parts,ez-pipe and fittings from Rainbird. Hunter said it wouldn't hurt to use teflon tape on the lateral side of the valves, but they weren't really firm either way. I sure don't mind using it if it's the best thing to do. What do you think? On your installs, do you use the tape on the sprinkler ez-pipe fittings or risers or is that not necessary?

Where exactly would I place the tee to blow out the system and would you have a threaded cap on it for removal?

Thanks again!

Rate this thread