You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TMC2004

Tuesday, April 5th 2005, 12:44pm

Hunter I-20

Ive read in various spot in the forum that I-20's require higher pressure to operate than other models of same throw. I was considering getting the I-20's but now im alittle concerned. My pressure and the hose bib is 50psi, and im setting up my system to run at 13 gpm per zone. Will I have an issue using I-20's?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 6th 2005, 6:43am

At a static supply pressure of 50 psi, you do not want to use Hunter I-20's. Stick with PGP's. Also, 13 gpm is probably way too much to expect from a standard household supply with that sort of static pressure. Measure the actual flow and pressure before you paint yourself into a corner.

TMC2004

Wednesday, April 6th 2005, 4:07pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />At a static supply pressure of 50 psi, you do not want to use Hunter I-20's. Stick with PGP's. Also, 13 gpm is probably way too much to expect from a standard household supply with that sort of static pressure. Measure the actual flow and pressure before you paint yourself into a corner.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wet Boots I plan on using 11/4 poly pipe as my main line then using 1" poly pipe for the laterals. Im using the 11/4 to keep my pressure drops to a minimum.i suppose i could drop the design flow lower maybe to 11 or 10 gpm. I will measure the actual flow and pressure.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 3:15am

You cannot avoid the pressure drop in the line from the street to the house. You cannot avoid the pressure drop in the water meter. Nor the pressure drop in the electric zone valves and the backflow preventer. If it happened that your system included a RPZ backflow preventer, on account of the property sloping uphill of the house, you wouldn't even have 35 psi to operate with, and that would be before you turn on the water. It's possible that the actual usable flow will be so low, that you could use 3/4 poly without excess pressure loss.

nestors

Advanced Member

Thursday, April 7th 2005, 8:19am

Yes ,you will have a problem use the rainbird 5004 ,but only 2 per zone off a hose bib.
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting
Alpharetta,Ga.30022

vpn1@bellsouth.net

www.NestorsLandScape.com
www.GeorgiaLighting.net

Robbies

Sunday, April 10th 2005, 3:31pm

You should be just fine. That talk about I-20's needing more pressure is not true. I have them on my system with 50 psi and 12gpm

rastogi999

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:27am

Regarding the issue of water pressure to allow the use of the Hunter I-20 rotor, I am thinking of installing an irrigation system and would like to use the I-20 for the superior warranty and durability over the PGPs. However the water pressure in my system only measures 34PSI. My contractor will be installing a 3/4 HP booster pump. Will this be sufficient.., or should I abandon the idea of the I-20? Would a specific type of booster pump be recommended to allow for use of the I-20 rotors?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2005, 8:13pm

What type of pressure will you be looking at after the installation of the booster pump? What type of booster pump is it? If you measure 34 PSI and your Point of Connection, by the time the water hits the sprinkler heads, you are not going to have a whole lot of pressure to work with. I wouldn't suggest using the I-20 heads unless you have are going to have a static pressure of at least 50-60 PSI.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

rastogi999

Wednesday, July 27th 2005, 8:49pm

The contractor did not specify a specific brand, but does state that the 3/4 HP pump should get the pressure up to abot 60 PSI. Do you have any recommendations on Booster pumps, in your experience in terms of reliability and performance. Thanks again.

Rate this thread