You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mudman

Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 4:56pm

Pressure Control Valve

What pressure control valve have people found to be effective? I have a Goulds 2 hp pump which has a maximum pressure of about 55 psi (128 ft head). My main concern is assuring I don't damage the pump if I inadvertently run it with all valves closed. What pressure do you recommend I set the PCV at?
Thanks,
Mudman

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 3:29pm

Assuming your pump is a single-stage centrifugal, like the Irri-Gator from Goulds, you will be lacking the "brute force" pressure that deep-well submersible pumps possess, that allow them to fully open a standard pressure relief valve. It might be more rewarding to use a small pressure tank and pressure switch, to make something like a self-contained water supply out of your pump.

More work, and more money, but certainty has its price.

Mudman

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 9:25pm

Thanks Wet_Boots. I'll give the tank and pressure switch some more thought. Mudman

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, January 27th 2014, 2:32pm

The difficulty with protecting a centrifugal pump with a pressure relief valve, is that valves like these don't snap open fully at a set point. They begin to open at a pressure maybe 10 psi or more below the pressure that it takes for them to be fully open, and that creates a problem when you want to be running a centrifugal pump at an operating pressure that is close to its maximum output pressure. A pressure switch provides absolute on-off control, albeit at the need to add a pressure tank (even a baby water heater expansion tank is enough for proper switch operation)