You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pinkee99

Tuesday, February 4th 2014, 6:22pm

Sprinkler does not shut off..

I have the rain bird rd 600 and everything was working fine until the tree guy broke and fixed one of the irrigation to the trees now when the grass sprinklers come on they wont shut off, I have shut off the main water to the irrigation system and when I turn it back on the grass sprinklers come on again Please help I dont know how to fix this problem :( ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 4th 2014, 7:30pm

find the zone valve that feeds those stuck-on sprinklers, and repair or replace it

pinkee99

Tuesday, February 4th 2014, 9:09pm

where would I even look for that?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 5th 2014, 9:36am

Hopefully, the zone valves are under a green plastic access cover for you to find. If not, then the cheapo solution is to follow the wire from the controller to the valves. The pro solution is to follow the wire with a cable locator (you can rent one)

Another just-in-case idea is to disconnect the one wire that feeds the faulty zone, which would point out a rare controller fault that continuously energizes one zone.

SmartEarthAustin

Wednesday, February 5th 2014, 9:41pm

Wet boots is exactly right.

If you don't have a locator to trace the wires you may use what is called "chatter/ pinging" the valve. Basically your using low voltage electricity to make the solenoid open and close, this makes a clicking noise.

If you don't have a Station Master there is a cheap cheat.
Make sure the water supply is turned off.
Disconnect the station wire from the controller.
Turn on the station on the controller.
Have someone tap the wire on the terminal while you are in the yard listening for a clicking noise.
You will have to listen very closely as some valves are louder than others. Over the years I have noticed that dogs hear the click noise a lot better than we do.
Then replace the faulty valve.

Just be careful not to touch the terminal, you might get a slight buzz. Low voltage.

However the valve locator is the best way to go. Our company charges about $45 to locate a valve. I'm sure there are companies in you area that will offer the same service.

Or just rent the locator and battle the leading cure.
http://www.smartearthsprinklers.com/

Cheers!

Gabriel
Licensed Irrigator
Austin, Texas

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "SmartEarthAustin" (Feb 6th 2014, 9:49pm)

Rate this thread