You are not logged in.

Philip Ronney

Starting Member

Sunday, April 10th 2005, 3:47pm

Valve not responding to electronic signal

I have an older model Rain Dial we installed in 1992. One of the valves simply won't work and I'm stumped. I took a meter reading of the two wires going to the actuator and it measures between 12 and 13 volts with the actuator turned off. It measures almost zero with the actuator on. That seems correct to me. I put on a new valve with a new actuator and it still doesn't work. All the other 11 valves in the system work just fine. What am I missing?

water miser

Monday, April 11th 2005, 5:09pm

when that particular zone is calling to be on,you should read 24v +/- 10% between common and that zone terminal. remove that zone wire make that zone call if 24v is between that zone terminal and common,you know the controller is good.if your reading almost 0 volts with the zone calling you have no potential difference meaning you're reading the same leg with your meter.it's like putting your meter across a live fuse to read volts you'll read 0.disconnect valve solinoid and controller ohm out wires if there's continuity it's a bad wire.i would suggest to call a pro.i try not to make a habit of giving step by step instructions because us contractors have to eat too.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 2:23pm

You may have a short in your wiring. Like water miser said, you should be reading 24 VAC between the common and zone terminals. Have you done any digging or construction in your yard since you have been having this problem? If so, maybe a wire has been cut.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread