You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Fairbanks

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 4:56am

Mainline water supply and manifold box setup

****o All,

I'm new to this so sorry for the ignorance. I hope to catch up to your knowledge soon.

I have a dirt patch for a lawn now. NO grass. Conditions are very dry this spring so I'm thinking about sprinklers.

Yesterday I Plumbed one and a quarter inch pipe from my constant pressure pump system to the front and the back of my house. I filled the system with water and capped the two ends. The line to the back came out in a flower bed. The line in the front also comes out in a flower bed next to my concrete porch. The pressure on my system currently is about 55 PSI and can be turned up alot from there I believe. (I need to read about the pump system) At 55 PSI, It takes about 20 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Is the 1 1/4 inch pipe I used appropriate?

Next, I am unclear about the manifolds. Are they simply a box that I need to bury in my flower beds with all the control valves in them?
Do the valves in the manifold boxes control the sprinklers and in turn the timer control the valves? Is this making sense?

That's probably enough for now...I await your replies. Thank You.

Fairbanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 6:23am

<font size="3"><b>Where's the backflow preventer? </b></font id="size3">Get that done first.

Fairbanks

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 6:38am

Where does a backflow preventer go? Between my house and manifold box or after the manifold box?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 2:11pm

Your backflow preventer will be just after your pipe exits your house and before your valves (manifold). If you have the pipe coming out of the front and back of the house, you will need two backflow preventers. Yes, to answer your question, the manifold is the term for a grouping of valves in a single location, usually located in a valve box. What you said pretty much makes sense as far as the controller controls the valves, the valves open to flow water to the sprinklers. The 1 1/4 inch pipe will be alright at 55 PSI, somewhat overkill, but it will work.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Fairbanks

Wednesday, April 13th 2005, 12:24am

Thanks Tony for the info. These responses help alot. Another question comes to mind.

These pipes I exited the house with off of my main water line will be exposed to the elements. They simply exit just above the cement foundation and through the vinyl siding, then turn downward and are capped. (no glue on the cap yet) Is this what most people do when installing a new system? This isn't an issue as long as I drain the system in the fall right?

Fairbanks

Rate this thread