You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DogT

Thursday, May 1st 2014, 8:51pm

Submersible pump replacement

I have a 3/4 HP submersible pump that feeds the irrigation system (and the house) which has a max zone of 15 GPM. 250' deep well, pump at 200', not sure of the static and draw down levels. There was also a booster pump at the well head where the irrigation system taps off that was boosting the pressure to 80 psi or so (from the 40-60 from the pressure tank). The well I am confident can deliver well over 15 GPM, the driller told me it delivered 40 GPM when it was drilled and we have had no problems with water delivery, even running the hose full blast on a sprinkler all day long, day after day.

The issue is the booster pump electric wire has broken underground and I figure it's time for a new pump after 25 years and like the idea of constant pressure. The submersible pump will only deliver about 10 Gal/min initially and not sure what it is after the pressure tank drains, but I plan on measuring it. We actually only get about 5 G/min in the house from outside hydrants and less from inside faucets and of course flushing the toilet while taking a shower is not a good idea. The sub pump will not run the irrigation system without the booster pump much at all.

So, I'm looking at a new sub pump less the booster, maybe something like the Grundfos 15SQE15-290 system. Constant pressure system. Then I read stuff about the 'Stop Cycle Valve' and I get lots of conflicting information on the CPS (Variable speed pump) vs the SCV. I realize that to use the SCV I need to size my pump to the highest value I need, like 15 GPM or a bit more.

I get bad feelings about both the pump sellers and the SCV people, like they are just salesmen and I am concerned I'll be burned like I was with the irrigation system. That is I'll be spending more money than I need, the Grundfos distributor has quoted me $3800 for a full new installation 15SQE15-290 CPS. I haven't gotten any quotes from the Franklin or Gould people yet, and I have a new fellow that is going to get me a price for 'Tech' CPS? Never heard of that one. He was recommended by my well driller.

Is there anywhere to go to get good non-sales oriented information. I did call the local health dept. about the well and they couldn't recommend anything. I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here.

Dave